or Connect

Posts by BareSolid

Perhaps Britons demand higher wages because living costs are higher? You refer to banking and the 'service sector' as 'industries' but they don't make anything. They don't provide anything. They just push money around. A country cannot sustain itself if it has no manufactures, as Britain has not. But considering you're both dogmatic neoliberals I shouldn't even both this facile debate. Best wishes.
Quote: Originally Posted by StephenHero I'm sorry, but quotes like "allowing the steel industry to go to the wall" and "even M& S's now sells Chinese clothing" paints you as as left wing nut who's advocating government intervention through subsidies to failing private industries at the expense of the public. That's their fault, not Thatcher's fault for deciding not to step in and do something about it. You call me a left-wing nut because I...
Quote: Originally Posted by mafoofan Do you seriously believe that the UK would be better off if the government hoisted up manufacturing at the expense of other industries that need less subsidization to thrive and forced its people to buy more expensive goods made in country? Other industry? What other industry? I can't see any. What other industry do you speak? 'Subsidization'? Please.
Quote: Originally Posted by StephenHero How did she lay waste to the working class and industry? You might be living in an alternative universe where this did not happen. Who closed the mines? Who closed the rolling stock manufacturers? Who allowed the steel industry to go to the wall? Who sold off North Sea Oil? Who allowed the Single European Act to pass, establishing trade with poor countries which allowed the country to be swamped by...
Quote: Originally Posted by StephenHero It's entirely Margaret Thatcher's fault, huh? Well Thatcher and her likely lads - Lamont and Tebbit in particular - had a prejudice against certain communities that led to the destructive privatization programme. Now most of what we buy and sell is manufactured in the third world. Anyone who defends Thatcher's attitude to (contempt for) Britain's industry under 'neoliberalism' is delusional. Baroness...
England is own the downslope. I'd put this to a lack of the police presence on the streets, they just go around in their jam sandwiches (panda cars) waiting for crimes to happen so they can turn up afterwards. The Peelers are now going round murdering our protesters. If the police are useless, the people will be vagrant. They also carry around too many weapons - batons, spray cans and even now electrocution guns - which will only encourage the youth to arm themselves...
Quote: Originally Posted by wmjarrell BS--they won't truly be chucks until you've walked a few holes and some discoloration into the fabric anyway. That said, I have some trusty low-tops in the "white"/cream that I have been wearing since 2005 and which are wonderful and will never die. I recommend. Something else I recommend--insoles, to protect your arch. chucks are very spare in that department, to put it judiciously. Thanks, will...
Quote: Originally Posted by Dewey ^ Unless you are raising a family on 24K a year, you can afford a pair of $350 shoes. Get real Sadly not. I live in England and am a student. Students in England can barely afford a bowl of cereal in the morning. I can stretch to £160 but that's just about it.
I've emailed them about Sargent. Apparently Sarge have been dropped because they take the piss and don't deliver the shoes on time, so a lot of the cheapest shoes on Shipton are made in their Italian factory.
Quote: Originally Posted by Dewey ^ Disagree. Go one step up for best Value For Money, esp. if you want a basic black oxford / balmoral. Look in the $325-$450 retail range. Leather quality is very important for that kind of shoe. Of course so is fit. The better they fit your foot, they longer they will serve you well. No shoe that does not fit well will ever be a good value. Thank you very much, perhaps I should have qualified 'limited...