or Connect

Posts by jerrybrowne

Of course longevity matters. I wear my bespoke shoes, coats, shirts etc every single day. They get well worn, buttons fall off, shoes need repair etc.I do not consider bespoke items disposable. It is a commitment to get the fit right, and once it is right, you hang on to these things, believe me, and you do what you can to keep them in good shape. Fit IS a major reason why I purchase bespoke items. Another is proportions. Even if you have fairly standard...
+1. Same experience. Still a good deal though. Compare to ~$4.5K USD for Poole.
Thank you. This is very interesting.
Seems like a pretty big conceptual advance from turnshoe construction to hand welting. Did it happen all at once or did it evolve over several decades?
Very true. Especially when you first start working with a firm. Getting the last right takes time and sometimes several iterations. Even then, some designs won't work right with your last and will require adjustments.
I'm curious about this foam rubber bottom fill. Are there benefits of using "hot corking" to foam rubber? Is there a foam rubber matrix that can be topped off and the surplus removed with the ease of hot cork? Or alternatively is there a liquid foam rubber that can be squirted in, then the extra shaved off?Wouldn't that last longer than cork? It would potentially be easier to remove too if it does not break apart when removed during resoling?
Well, it's not the perfect experiment . It is, however, better than correlations that one can make between between the comfort of different pairs of handmade and GYW shoes.Like I said before, I'm comparing these to shoes that are of a similar design and made of similar leathers built on the same last.By the way, I'm not advocating either way. I have no issue with GYW shoes. I do think that differences in comfort level between GYW and a good quality hand lasted shoe...
I agree, and this is the point I am trying to make. Differences in construction between hand welting and machine welting are not simply due to the gemming. These differences, at least to me, affect comfort considerably.
I believe that some design elements can only be made (well made) using hand welting. These include a very narrow waists .
I don't want to get involved in this gemming issue but I have one experience that could provide some insight. Remember this is a sample size of 1. I purchased a pair of cleverley RTW shoes to knock around in. These are good year welted shoes that are very nice, good quality shoes made by Crockett and Jones. They did not fit properly out of the box so my friends at Cleverley with whom I have a very good relationship, did me a favor and had them relasted on my bespoke...