or Connect

Posts by oDD_LotS

Quote: Originally Posted by ErnestoG. converting the girl from hating all beer to actually enjoying nice craft beers was a similar feeling. its great. My wife had never drank beer before moving here (she said it was too hot here not to), and I've gotten her to try and even like some better options. Ultimately, she prefers fruity, lighter things and I doubt that will ever change. Prior to this, she's always referred to anything containing gin...
Douglas, I love the new fixtures! I'm a big fan of keeping existing features whenever possible, but I think that the "new" ones will go really well with the retained architectural features. I look forward to seeing more photos as the renovation progresses.
Right now I have the biggest kitchen I've had access to since moving out of my parents house about ten years ago (~140 sq ft), but I have very little usable counter space, thanks to the 1950s "modernization" of what was likely an early 20th century butlers pantry (the larger kitchen became an oversized bathroom). Probably 2 usable feet at most. We're currently working on a historically sensitive redesign that would add a much needed dishwasher, a 48" fridge, a 36"...
Lately, we've been taking advantage of the good weather by way of firing up the Weber whenever possible. With that in mind, I usually go from mise to table in about 45-60 minutes. If I'm making a really special meal inside (generally the only time I cook a real meal instead of my wife), I can easily spend 2-3 hours, not including marinating, oven drying, and overnight preps. Those meals happen less than once a month, however.
I officially reached a milestone in my drinking career: I've made a gin martini so good that my wine-cooler swilling wife actually put aside her fruit flavored michelob ultra and asked for a second sip. That, I firmly believe, is reason to celebrate with, of course, a stiff drink.
Wife and I are enjoying a couple of sticks on the porch. A La Gloria Cubana series N for me, a P.G. Gourmet for her (her first non-flavored cigar). Contemplating my first box purchase...either Padrons or Hemingway Classics, I think. Edit: Just finished the Series N and I am very impressed. I've had a few things lately that, while good, weren't necessarily going to earn a place in my regular rotation. The LGC is phenomenal, however. Surprisingly, I had a few pulls on...
Just had a Duvel, but it was a little warmer than I prefer, so I stuck it in the fridge for a bit to chill off. In the mean time, I've been gathering some supplies to put together a dirty martini to enjoy on the back porch. Running low on supplies, so it looks like a trip to the liquor store is in order this week.
Still trying to thin out some of the older or cosmetically damaged sticks in my humidor (bad storage habits when I first got into cigars), which lead to a sizable Padron 1926 last night and today's post-lawnwork choice: Carlos Torano Tribute 2004. I've never been a huge Toranos fan (had a lot of poorly constructed ones when I first started smoking), but this one was pretty good. I think if I hadn't enjoyed a damn near perfect '26 the night before I would have been even...
After a weekend of delicious dinners (and lunches and brunches and snacks) eaten at various festivals and restaurants, we decided to keep it simple tonight. For a late lunch, I grilled a couple of marinated portabella caps over hardwood charcoal and served them on toasted buns with a balsamic aioli and fresh radish greens my wife harvested a couple hours earlier from our garden. The sandwiches turned out fairly attractive, and very tasty. The flavor was very cohesive,...
Stopped at a b&m an hour from my house I hadn't tried before and picked up half a dozen sticks (maybe a few more). Went to a wine and jazz fest after and enjoyed a Fuente Hemingway and a short Partagas Black label. Hemingway was good, as always, and the Black label was one of he best of the type I've had in a while. Have a few more saved for tomorrow afternoon (thinking Tatuaje Reserva and maybe one of the Padrons I picked up.