or Connect

Posts by oDD_LotS

Decided to try something new: EP Carrillo I picked up recently while I was on a short business related thing. Too early to say anything definitive, but it's got a very easy draw, which I'm either going to love or hate. Also picked up a couple of 1964's, a couple of Tatuajes, an Opus X, and maybe something else. I've been focusing on trying more bang-for-the-buck cigars lately, but I figured it was time for a couple treats.
Been trying to cook at home more the past few weeks, which has lead to a lot of things prepared with whatever was found in a walk through our garden. Made a vegetarian "chicken" salad last week that we've been eating all weekend. Looking forward to this weekend, we're headed to Cincinnati for our anniversary and the #1 restaurant in town (per the local magazine) has a vegetarian tasting menu. I don't believe I've ever done a formal tasting menu (most places around here...
Went out to a live show with the wife and some of her coworkers and decided to finally fire up the Brickhouse Mighty Mighty. I was pretty prepared to not love it, especially since I'd heard sooooo much about how great they are for the price. Except for a slight grassiness that keeps building at times, I'm really liking it. I've been pleased with how few crappy sticks I've had in the few months since I started getting back into cigars.
Last night we went out for sushi. Had a yam roll (which is always delicious), some vegetable maki, a couple pieces of avocado nigiri and a slightly different presentation of egg (which I will definitely be getting again). Tonight I decided to try and make something out of whatever I could find in the garden, so we're having swiss chard sauteed with a bit of garlic, fried squash blossoms (some plain, a couple with chevre and herbs that looked good), maybe something to use...
I feel your pain. Our town has decided to move most outdoor activities inside this weekend just because of the risk of being outside for any decent length of time. With heat index it's supposed to be about 105 here today, but in honor of my first day having a covered porch in a couple weeks (and with no awful thunderstorm), I'm braving the temps. Happy early birthday, hope you get to enjoy a smoke!I decided to have the My Father as my post-work stick, and it's been...
Celebrating the installation (finally) of my new awning by taking the laptop out back for a few hours of work in the great outdoors accompanied by a couple of smokes. The first is a long, relatively slim (38) unlabeled cigar left over from a blind tasting I participated in a few years ago. Unfortunately, I don't remember which tasting, so I'm not sure what it could be. Whatever it might be, it's delicious. Mild strength, medium flavor. Up next is either a Brickhouse...
Unbelievable how huge everything in our garden has gotten so far this year! We've had fairly constant rain which, mixed with the tons of composted horse manure we added to the beds, has lead to incredibly huge plants that seem to be producing at a ridiculous rate. Our squash plants are stretched almost 20 ft in length and our tomatoes have almost outgrown the 8ft tall trellis device I built for them this spring! I just put a few minutes in the garden this morning and...
Been in the mood to cook a little more lately, so I made a dish of scallops in a vermouth cream sauce with softened onions and mushroom over the weekend (she was pleased) and last night I sautéed mushrooms and onions in butter, threw in blanched asparagus and gnocchi and finished with sherry for a really great (and easy) dinner. Used fresh thyme from our garden, which went beautifully with the sherry. Tonight we have been working on some "inspiration books" to bring to...
Got a big interview tomorrow morning, so I'm trying to calm my nerves with a Padron (non-annversario, don't want to celebrate prematurely) on he back porch. I'm consistently impressed by nearly everything I smoke from Padron.
Decided to try and get out in my garden before a big thunderstorm hit and opted to bring along an Oliva Grand Maduro. I've been sitting on these for a while and figured It might make for a decent garden stick. I'm actuall enjoying it quite a bit, and it seems to have a lot more flavor than what I had remembered them possessing when I bought them. Unfortunately, I didn't beat the rain, so I'm huddled under my eaves trying to finish this one relatively unsoaked. Thinking...