or Connect

Posts by brimley

With TVs on the large side it's not a resolution issue, it's a viewing angle issue. 70" at 6.5' is right about where you have trouble seeing the entire screen at once. I've had home theater projectors in a variety of apts/homes over the last ten years and if you're projecting at a fairly short distance, even 720p won't bother you but 80" is a lot. Which is funny because projectors are actually really practical for small spaces since you wall mount. OTC, your TV probably...
Awesome. You can wear them a size tight or a size loose, wrinkled or fresh. A++ for the money, you probably have to move to $150+ til you find something substantially better.
Eden Prairie is nice for a suburb. Minneapolis is fantastic for a metro area. You will be ecstatic about what you can obtain versus So Cal for the price. Job outlook in MN metro area is strong. If you are living in a suburb you just need a connected garage, parking close to work, and contract snow removal to stay warm. If you are in Minneapolis you can take the skyway everywhere. Hold off on the dog though. On the weekends, you only really need to worry when it gets under...
Saw a great video on Facebook, need to go get some brandy: http://www.smallscreennetwork.com/video/853/morgenthaler-method-brandy-old-fashioned/
Fremont rocks. If you're a beer guy, go to Brouwers and Fremont Brewing. I like 9 Million for bourbon or happy hour. If you want fish, Rock Creek. For lunch, anything at Paseo. Quick walk and you can hit The Whale Wins. Or, the guy who does the Where Ya At Matt truck just opened a place called Roux that should be killer NOLA cuisine. For Korean, Revel. The Barrel Thief is a new place that was doing good cask-aged cocktails the one time I stopped in.
You don't believe that raising the coverage age for dependents from 21 to 26 and eliminating denial based on pre-existing conditions is worth $900/year? How much do you spend on cable? What about your cell phone bill?You seem like someone who has a decent job. Does your employer cover most your premiums? Because the reality is, most of the expense on the insurance side was probably priced in 2-3 years ago, and you are probably just getting an effective pay cut while your...
I don't know Black Yak but the fact that they license Marmot in Korea seems a positive to me. Marmot doesn't have the cache of North Face or Patagonia to most people but they make great technical gear. While I'm in this thread, I'll say that I bought one of Nau's trench shells like five years ago and the thing has been awesome. Almost the perfect coat for the application.
Chernobyl (or a "dirty bomb") is a psychological threat more than a physical one. It is true that there were dozens of fatal accidents from those very close to the reactors (firefighters, etc). They got hit with a variety of radioactive gases and the like because they were physically confined in the building. Once you go above 4-5 Gy to the whole body you are likely to die. This is a very high dose.In general, radioactive gases vent into the atmosphere and do not pose much...
Gibonius is a chemist, so he knows the isotopes, but I'm a radiation physicist, so allow me to add a few things."Radiation" is several things. Most generally, it is charged or uncharged particles that have enough energy to damage DNA. However, the type of radiation is very important.Photons: uncharged particles that travel very far and liberate charged particles. Cosmic rays from the sun shoot through us every day. Or, if you know someone who has had radiation therapy to...
Give these guys a shot if you see them on the shelf. Big Gin is pretty decent too.