or Connect

Posts by Contingency Plan

Biomedical engineering has a bright future. My friends at Imperial told me how they designed cheap artificial kneecaps for the Indian market - something really cool about getting paid to make cyborgs! Quote: Originally Posted by AlmostFullBenefits I oddly have no idea, except that the idea of remaining in academia has worn thin. I started off concentrating in tissue engineering, and ended up working on human-machine interface system design for my grad...
Oxford and Cambridge probably have more clout in former Commonwealth nations than any American institution. China in particular love Cambridge since one of their poets wrote a famous poem about studying there.
LOL @ LinkedIn's 2k P/E ratio
Boooo! I'm at UCL Quote: Originally Posted by Not Ed Harris Did you go to Imperial by any chance? That's what my wife did.
MBBS with intercalated BSc
Exactly. There's no branch of mathematics so abstract as to have no potential use sometime in the future - not that utility is a necessary requisite for studies having value anyway. Quote: Originally Posted by yachtie Your view forward is too short. The stuff math PhD's do is fundamentally important but the practical results are usually a generation or two out. Can't describe it if you don't have the tools. The mathematicians provide the tools.
Markets are pretty grim atm, though I just bought ARM with a look to cash out in 8-16 months' time (before Intel get up in their grill). In terms of other British companies, you could look to short BP or Lloyds if you're brave.
Granted, but there are plenty of new, highly specific and very expensive cancer drugs in the pipeline to keep things afloat. None of this really matters anyway, if the OP just opts for the safe option and becomes a pharmacist. Quote: Originally Posted by shahanshah You guys know the whole bit about patent expirations ? Lipitor is on an exclusive generics license for about 6 months--cutting profits 50%--and then opened up to all firms for...
It's not that simple, especially with the US's ageing population. Geriatric pharmacy is going to be booming soon, especially with the voting power of older citizens vis a vis medicare entitlements. Pharmacy sounds perfect for his stated goals: job security; ability to practise overseas relatively easily; good - if not great - income potential; all bolstered by a much better work/life balance than can be said for most physicians. Edit: A recent article from the...
Hoegaarden!