or Connect

Posts by Quebec1977

Quote: Originally Posted by gladhands This idea of having another man shine my shoes while they're on my feet makes me extremely uncomfortable. I have a problem with the implied level of subservience. On one side, I share the same feeling than yours with the idea of a guy, often old and obviously not affluent, shining my (sometime expensive) shoes as I sit above - on a small podium - dressed in suit and tie; to read the WSJ would just...
I bought my first suit at 24 y.o., that is, in summer 2002. It was for a friend's wedding I was invited to. Another friend, who used to wear suit and tie at work everyday (lucky him, I thought!), came with me to different stores to purchase one. At that time, I was going to start my PhD. I had started to wear a tie (without suit) early during my MA (in 2001). I wore a tie from time to time, than a couple of days per week, then everyday. So in Fall 2002, I wore my new suit...
While I am not a German or involved in any negociation tactic, I always keep my jacket on, in the same way that I leave my tie knot, and my shirt collar fasten. This is not because I have to comply with a dresscode - I'm a faculty in a Canadian university, so most of my colleagues are (unfortunately) casually dressed - rather because I like it and I want to feature a professional look. I also believe it is an effective way to create an appropriate distance between my...
I was injuried once by a new pair of dress shoes I painfully wore during a full day, having to smile and to behave as usual without opportunity to remove them before coming back home (a lot of walk to commute) and it will never happen again! Most of the time, I don't really need to breaking-in new shoes. Nonetheless, I wear them at home first and, sometimes, I bring another pair of shoes at work on the first day, just to have an option.
Quote: Originally Posted by ChicagoJohn What is the protocol for seated work and blazers? Do I have to take it off before I sit at my computer and work? Is it weird if I wear it all day? IMO, a blazer is designed to fit on you, not on the back of your seat. I work in suit everyday and I wear the jacket all day. But this is just me. About the protocol, I would say: (i) that you should wear it during meetings; (ii) you should keep button(s)...
I'm political scientist and assistant professor in a Communication Dept in Canada. Without any doubt, wear a suit and tie. Most conservative colour and pattern are not mandatory, but don't flash. And don't forget to shine your shoes.
There are several stores for shopping in Montreal. For sure, Holt Renfrew and Harry Rosen are interesting places to purchase more expensive dress clothes. However, I believe that it may be relevant to spend less than 1500$ for a first suit, since it will give you a first idea about how comfortable a model is, how interesting a given style is for you, etc. La Baie Downtown has a nice selection of suits in a wide range of price ("Le President" boutique has more expensive...
Quote: Originally Posted by oroy38 I've done up to 6 hours a pair, and even 10 hours over the course of a week when I was JROTC. Here's basically how it works: Clean any dirt and dust off of the shoe, you want it to be as clean as possible. Put a nice gob of spit in a can of kiwi polish or a splash of water to get the polish nice and gooey. Rub the spit/water into the polish until you have a nice paste going on. Take that paste and apply a...
I would like to control a great roller coaster! I'm a coaster fan and to ride them bring a kind of pleasure which is missing in my academic work. But I love my work too, so I wouldn't like to be a ride operator more than one day! Quote: Originally Posted by CunningSmeagol As I said in the other thread, I would love to spend a day or two shining shoes. I read your previous post. Why would you like it?
Quote: Originally Posted by Manhappenin But I really need a big firm gig to make my damn loan payments. If I end up with no firm, going to NYU will have essentially ruined my life. Don't forget that having a position in a biglaw may also ruin your life. Stress and time spent in office have obvious impact on family and social life, as well as on physical and mental health. You need to be enthusiast with your job to survive in a biglaw. So doing...