or Connect

Posts by Lensmaster

Yes, the peaks sticking up like horns distracts from the shoulder lines. It draws too much attention.
The local orchestra has five concerts every year and I wear black tie to as many as I can get to. No one else dresses up nearly as nice but I get lots of compliments.
Not wearing a cummerbund is just what the purveyors of fashion are pushing now. Fashion is simply what self proclaimed experts tell you is the new thing. Style is timeless. Yes a cummerbund is not "necessary", but a tuxedo is not "necessary" either. We can all wear white jumpsuits everyday as the sci fi movies predicted. I wear a tux to feel special when I go out. All the unique details I like because they make the outfit different than the regular suits I wear. Even...
I think the "blacker than black" idea came about soon after incandescent lighting became common. That lighting has a reddish color cast which would give black an off color but would mix with midnight blue to give a black appearance. So for quite a number of years that was good advice. Today there is such a variety of lighting sources with various color temperatures that the theory can't be relied on. Now laws are making us all change to fluorescent bulbs which have...
I remember seeing pictures from the early 60's of white shirts with very small ruffles, two rows spaced out on either side. Not something I would wear but with an otherwise traditional tux it might be interesting, as long as you weren't wearing it to a very traditional event. And you have to be ready to be noticed.
I looked at the pictures for the Sinatra Soiree. This is a Sinatra themed party and the event listing states Vintage Dress. While few men tried to dress in anything resembling black tie, which is what Sinatra would have worn to an evening party, what is sad is that most men aren't even wearing a tie. I guess they figured putting on a sport coat was sacrifice enough. I thought D.C. was a bit more formal that other parts of the country.
There has been an evolution in formal attire from colorful court dress, to white tie, to black tie, and now apparently to the business suit. There is a line of thought that not only is this inevitable but that the older styles of formal dress should become obsolete as the next informal style becomes considered formal. I don't subscribe to that philosophy. I think business suits should be worn at work more during the day, casual every days don't work for me. I think men...
That is the thought that many American's have that change for the sake of change is good. There are good changes and bad changes. Change itself is not inherently good. Why would I not want to dress ans my grandfather or great-grandfather? That sounds like an insult. I wear what I do because it looks good and always will. Not everything people wore in the past was good. I pick and choose. I will never wear a zoot suit just because it was worn in the 1940's. I will not wear...
I don't believe I ever said that wasn't so.
I didn't say a uniform, which is what white tie basically is. I said "tradition" and "same kind of thing." As you said black tie gives men a degree of latitude, not free reign. When I wear black tie I know I am dressed the same way men were 30, 60, or 80 years ago. I have some variety. I wear peak and shawl lapels, I sometimes were pleated shirts and sometimes marcella shirts, I wear a cummerbund and when I get it will sometimes wear a waistcoat. There are choices but all...