or Connect

Posts by Bartolo

I bought my Devores in part because I really enjoyed the midrange. And sure, the room makes a huge difference, as does individual preferences.I bought these, my first real hi fi speakers, after listening at the dealer. I'll only ever buy after listening at home from now on, as the interaction with the room is so critical to figuring out what they'll sound like at home!
Actually that turntable appears to have a built-in preamp ("Switchable built-in pre-amplifier with line-level RCA output cables") so that it can be plugged into the "aux input" of virtually any receiver or integrated amplifier.
Yup I got my Devores and some of my Naim gear at Goodwins. The rest of the Naim gear I bought via Audiogon. Three different Audiogon transactions, all of which went swimmingly whereby I got barely used stuff, all built in 2011, for around 50% of retail. I'll continue to support Goodwins too, however.
I think that the next time I'm in NYC with an afternoon to burn I'll see if I can get over to his factory/office -- at least I'll email him and see if he's interested in meeting a customer.I had my audio sales guy come over and we spent a few hours moving the speakers around. It's really interesting what a few inches either way can do to the sound. Unfortunately, my room has some issues -- some odd little geometries and other than a 9x12 wool rug and some simple...
All I can add is that I love my Devore Nines. I listened to a fair number of speakers, and the imaging, soundstage and "openness" of the Nines is just outstanding. They are quite efficient -- don't take hundreds of watts to drive.
Congrats on the new speakers, and I do need to download that; I've heard it sounds great.
Yeah the wires are a bit of a mess but she doesn't complain about them.A 'real audiophile' would employ "cable dressing" to maximize sound quality, but I've not gotten there yet. Although neatening the appearance would still be a quantifiable benefit.
Naaa my hi fi passed the WAF test :Key requirements were 'no spaceship-looking speakers,' (which BTW excluded B&O stuff), shelving that fit with our mid-century Danish decor, and, ahem, no exposed tubes.
In my experience, women do NOT want big honkin' loudspeakers in their living room ;-)
I remember "loudness buttons" from the 1970's. They are/were meant to compensate for low-level listening, as you stated. It's just eq -- turns up the bass and some treble.