or Connect

Posts by MsMcGillicuddy

I move back to Seattle from the UK in just under two weeks, and the logistics so far have been pretty easy - no major hiccups or unexpected costs.
Quote: Originally Posted by MrG If you're sick, stay home unless you absolutely cannot help it, especially if you get paid sick leave. I have encountered very few people who are so important that their workplaces cannot survive without them for a day or two. Nor is what they are doing so important that they cannot afford to be behind a day or two on the rare occasion that they are sick. Also, taking that day to rest and take care of...
Quote: Originally Posted by taxgenius69 I hate hearing "it begs the question" when there is no circular reasoning. I quite often find myself yelling at the screen when someone says: "That begs the question: what is blah blah blah?" No. That does not beg the question. It may lead to the next question. But it does not beg the question.
I like thebigpic.org. It's a bit like google calendar, but has project options with individual tasks that you can place on the calendar. I like the interface and it's replaced my physical datebook.
Ditto on calling attractive people 'fit'. It was odd to me when I first moved to the UK but it's everywhere and gotten into my brain. There are words I use over here (mobile instead of cell, flat instead of apartment, match instead of game) when speaking to Brits, but if speaking exclusively with people from the U.S. or else when I'm back in the states I consciously try to use the U.S. English word. Otherwise I think I sound like a jack ass. For some reason I don't...
I was admitted to a good law school and accepted the space. A month before classes were to start I realized I didn't ACTUALLY want to be a lawyer and withdrew my acceptance. I was lucky in that my folks supported the change in plans, which made it easier to admit that I didn't really know what I wanted to do with my life.
Ditto on "Sophie's World." It's an intriguing read. My list of philosophy reads is way too long to share here, but I would suggest that if you have iTunes you look under podcasts for the free "Philosophy Bites" podcasts. I think there are about 130 of them, each around 15 minutes long. They are usually on one very specific topic / question ("Is it wrong to sell organs?") and they talk about the major thinkers and philosophies informing different opinions. I think a good...
Dublin - if you're there for five days, I suggest take one day to take the train up to Belfast and do the hop-on-hop-off bus tour. Belfast is fascinating and actually lovely. For cliffs I agree - the Cliffs of Moher are the way to go, but that would require going across the country (via train) to Galway and then catching a bus tour. But they are breathtaking, so could be worth it. In Dublin, the party area is Temple Bar. In terms of tourist-y stuff, the Guiness...
I am heading to Berlin in under four days. I haven't been to Berlin in over a decade - I'm excited to see how it's changed.
I am an England supporter but an American as well so I was dreading this match. I'm just happy I can now get back to agressively cheering for both teams. England - I think they should start Hart next week. Yeah he's young, but he worked wonders for Birmingham City this season when on loan from Man City. He's a huge part of why the Blues were able to finish in the top half of the Premiere league their first year back from relegation. It's a risk, and I think Capello won't...