or Connect

Posts by skyman

Quote: Originally Posted by magogian12345 Hitler ordered the German army to stop attacking Dunkirk for 3 days. Also, the French forces were largely in disarray by this point. The French maybe. The British troops were still a highly trained, motivated proffesionals force who were well equipped. Had they been pushed to the wall I would imagine they could have made Dunkik into a killing zone, as futile as that would have been.
Quote: Originally Posted by magogian12345 I might be wrong, but he may tell us next that Monty was the greatest general of WW2. Actually Hitler made the decision on the recommendation of General Von Keulcher and his staff.
Quote: Originally Posted by Canal Directo Rommel plan would have worked. The whole thing was so close, even with the German higher command failure, that I think they would have successfully fight off the invasion if they had followed this plan to fight first and foremost 'on the beaches.' Hummm, the bomb would not be ready until summer 1945. That's more than a year after June 1944. Perhaps the Allies would have tried something in a peripherical...
Quote: Originally Posted by magogian12345 Scenario: Hitler's aid wakes him after hearing of the invasion. Hitler is skeptical, thinking the attack is a diversion from the real attack planned for Pas-De-Calais. But Rommel is his trusted general, so he gives him permission to attack with his panzer divisions. Rommel attacks and the Allied invasion at Normandy is destroyed. How does the rest of the war in Europe play out? For example, would the US...
[quote=magogian12345;3296622]This is right. If Hitler had been more hands-off and let his generals operate with greater freedom then the war may have turned out quite differently. Thankfully, he wasn't smart enough to do so and/or too paranoid. Hitler's tendency toward micromanagement first really appeared, in IMO, with Dunkirk. Next, was probably the decision to invade the Balkans rather than Russia in early 1940. As well, the decision to conduct the mass...
Quote: Originally Posted by runner-guy My friend's grandfather landed on Utah Beach and is quoted talking about Roosevelt in a World War II book I have at home. Roosevelt was truly a bad ass. Precisely one of the reasons why the Allied forces won the war in Europe. US and British officers had an incredible ability to improvise and adjust to their surroundings without having to confer with officers above them. German officers couldn't even move tanks...
Quote: Originally Posted by crazyquik There were a lot of missions in WWII that were basically suicide missions. While this wasn't the raid on St. Nazaire (1942 I think, the greatest raid of all time, and basically a suicide mission), what happened at Omaha Beach isn't far from it. Yeah there was alot of heroism on D-Day, and other battle I'm sure. I watched a documentary the othe day about Omaha where they were trying to figure out just why...
Quote: Originally Posted by shahanshah Hamas has objectives, palestine without israel *NOTE TO THOSE WHO LIKE JUMPING TO IRRATIONAL CONCLUSIONS: THIS IS NOT AN APOLOGY OR A STATEMENT OF SUPPORT BUT AN OBVIOUS FACT Then what? Do you think they will just put their weapons down, tell al quaeda, sorry chaps, we've got what we want, were going to go have a rest now.
Quote: Originally Posted by z7f9q Look, I'm sick of arguing. I'll just say this - the IRA was a brutal terrorist organization that got moderated and co-opted in exactly the way I describe. I'd like to hear somebody explain why that isn't possible eventually in Gaza. As they are totally different. The IRA had objectives they wanted an Ireland without Britain. Once that happened they had no need for a continuation of agression. So they could...
Quote: Originally Posted by Manton This has been the stupidest three days in CE history. And the most accurate post goes to....