or Connect

Posts by amlai

Any of the shell cordovan Indys will be in non-contrasting stitching. You might want to shoot Tom at LeatherSoul an email to see if he has anything in stock. ShoeMart looks like they have something. Alden SF might have something as well. They had a #8 Indy when I was in the store in March.
Yes, the shipping is insane, but it's pretty typical of what shoemakers charge to send shoes over the Atlantic. (My recollection is that it's about what I paid to send them over there as well.)
$220 for recraft + $111 for shipping back from Norway. I think it's a very fair price for refurbishing a bespoke shoe.
Just got these back from JP Myhre for a repair/refurbishment. I wish I had taken some before photos because they were in really bad shape. I am quite happy with the repair. New heel, half outsole, toe plates, dying, waxing, and glazing. I assume it was a half outsole because he didn't think a full replacement was necessary.
Just got these back from JP Myhre for a repair/refurbishment. I wish I had taken some before photos because they were in really bad shape. New heel, half outsole, toe plates, dying, waxing, and glazing. I assume it was a half outsole because he didn't think a full replacement was necessary.
Quote: Originally Posted by cimabue 'Wonder if the stitching issues showing up on some Aldens is related to the use of synthetic or synthetic-blended thread, because that stuff is brittle and prone to breaking as compared to certain all natural fibers. And if I remember correctly from home ec class a thousand years ago, the thread tension setting on a sewing machine has to be set correctly to prevent stitching failure. Maybe Mr. DWFII will kindly chime...
Alright, there was some sunlight today, so I shot a new picture:
I got them restored in March '09. Haven't taken any recent pictures. Will see what I can do, but the light these days is pretty bad. Here's a picture from a year ago:
Quote: Originally Posted by wj4 How's the speed hooks holding up? I hear that the cordovans are the ones with the problematic speed hooks as the leather is thinner. I've not had any trouble with the speedhooks on mine either and I've been pretty hard on my pairs.
Quote: Originally Posted by srivats Alden did a great job on these. They look lovely. I missed out buying these and regret it ... abderdeen last+cigar shell == AWESOME Mine are actually on Plaza last... I got them at the Madison Ave. store. I walked in and they just happened to have a pair that fit me. And since Imageshack seems to be permanently goofed up, I uploaded the pre-restoration picture again: