or Connect

Posts by mikeber

Quote: Originally Posted by photoguy OK - I'll bite - what specifically makes a trench a trench? I'm pretty sure I know one when I see one, but I get the sense you guys know something I don't. I always wanted one of those classic Burberry trenches that you see in old gangster movies, etc., and for the last few years was really disappointed that they were pushing more modern styles. I finally mentioned this to a salesclerk in their SOHO store last fall....
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackhood Best measure = Mathemtics Say a Bespoke pair costs you $3,000 and you wear them 300 times in the first year. Would you be willing to put $10 in a jar every single night when you walk in the door, for the sake of your feet feeling less stressed? For me personally, I couldn't say that wouldn't hurt after the first month or so, but if you find your feet ache and blister like a bitch, then maybe it would work...
Ravazzolo and Chan - apples and oranges. I am always puzzled by members who are quick to suggest taking WW Chan or other traveling tailors route: Ravazzolo is an Italian brand, referred to sometimes as Roman style, same as Brioni, but at a much lower price point. They make a very nice garment, for those who prefer the style. When you buy RTW, you get what you see, in your case pending alterations. Anyway, it is relatively a short time. WW Chan is from China and they will...
I would check first with the tailors about fabrics. It may be more convenient and cheaper to use their stock. If for some reason you still have to purchase your material, the size you mention sounds OK if you are of average size. Popular fabric stores in NYC are the fabric tzar in Manhattan and tip top in Brooklyn. Good Luck
As with every garment, there is the question of quality. Shearlings and leathers are a whole world and maybe you want to research the different companies and their products before you buy. Unfortunately, these topics are not frequently discussed on the forum and the info here is limited.
Maybe its cashmere tweed. I am also interested in such fabrics, but think they are woven exclusively for designers. Most traditional tailors and fabric merchants don't have access or stock such materials. As someone mentioned, probably Etro and Zegna sell such suits. I once saw something similar from Ferragamo.
A possible solution for high instep is Alden's "modified last". They don't make many models on that last which is quite ugly, but it works well on my feet. With shoes you cannot play around as with suits or shirts. The best or most expensive shoe will cripple you if it doesn't fit well. I am always disappointed to find that the best looking shoes or clothes don't fit me well, while those that fit are ugly...
Most "affordable" MTM programs are from Asian sources and they only take online orders. Those who offer fittings in NYC, although still made in the Far East, are more expensive. A three piece suit will probably push the price up to $1000.
Quote: Originally Posted by in fits of print No secret police force with clearly identifiable outerwear can be doing a very good job. But since Yugoslavia no longer exists, after all, maybe she was right. Think that was their border patrol uniform.
Quote: Originally Posted by dopey My bespoke shoes are similar (though less pronounced). I think it reflects the shape of a last designed for narrow ankles with room for a broader forefoot. The expansion in the forefoot isn't centered around the ankle center-line so the shoe looks sickle shaped. But I have no real idea. That is just based on what I see and my own foot and that it fits my foot well. Do you know of any other shoe company to...