or Connect

Posts by medwards

Zaytinya, Cafe Atlantico, and Minibar are reflections of Jose Andres not Mike Isabella. He certainly learned a lot from him, but they aren't -- and weren't -- Mike's restaurants. I should also note that in the time Mike left Zaytinya he cooked with Bryan Voltaggio and Jen Carroll to get ready for this challenge as well as at the Source with Scott Drewno and the Blue Duck Tavern with Brian McBride. I believe all of that had a strong impact on his growth and vision and on...
Quote: Originally Posted by Wes Bourne /thread I believe you have captured my experiences quite well above. Thank you, Wes Bourne. I am sure there are quite a few pictures of some of my Cleverley and Gaziano-made shoes elsewhere on this forum as well as others. They should give one a pretty good sense of the stylistic differences between the two -- though one should always be mindful that in bespoke footwear the customer plays (or at least...
Toque' (my pick for the best restaurant in Montreal), Europea (one of my favorites, but have heard of some inconsistencies of late..when the service is on, it can be a very special place with lots of special extras) , L'Express (a lively bistro...you can pretend you're in Paris or relish the fact you are in Montreal).
I sill recall what a sensation Craig Claiborne and Pierre Franey's little jaunt to Chez Denis caused in 1975: Just a Quiet Dinner for Two in Paris: 31 Dishes, Nine Wines, a $4,000 Check; We explained to the proprietor that our purpose was to have the finest dinner in Europe and that money was no obstacle. Of course, $4,000 went alot farther back then
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we eat it!
Quote: Originally Posted by Manton Possible. Dessert suggestions still welcome. pots de creme or an appropriate custard...or a custard sauce ala creme anglais?
Quote: Originally Posted by Manton Duck stock, which I recently made a boatload of. Need to make another pot though, will do that on Sunday. Perfect!
What are you going to be using as your poaching liquid?
I had the opportunity to talk with Harold McGee about the use of oils in cooking whilst he was in Washington on Monday. It was rather timely inasmuch as that was to be the topic of his New York Times Curious Cook column the next day. The bottom line is that heat has a very marked impact on the taste of cooking oils, reducing their flavor to the point where they more or less taste the same. Even the University of California at Davis experts on olive oil taste that he...
Quote: Originally Posted by iammatt If you don't mind spending a little more, check out the Mac Ultimate line. The shape is a nice combination of German and Gyoto, and the quality is absolutely fantastic. Having spent a couple of days now working with this knife, I can see why you are partial to it.