or Connect

Posts by Thrifter

My hot streak continues: NWOT Made in Italy PRL two button beige herringbone sport coat. Silk/Flax blend. NWOT Made in Italy PRL 3/2 roll grey herringbone sport coat. Silk/Flax blend. Canali brown two button sport coat. Zegna 'High Performance' 3/2 roll sport coat. No idea how to wear this yellow/orange/blue check but I'll figure something out. PRL wool shawl collar cardigan. Made in Italy silk pocket square. Hand rolled edges. Can anyone help me identify the...
No one recognizes the brands I wear anyway, so I just take it all in stride.
I find the toe area is a little narrow but the rest is pretty normal. I'm somewhere between a D or E width in AE PAs and I bought the standard width Mountain Lights. They will definitely take a bit of time to break in (wear them for a few months and on a few day hikes before a serious backpacking trip!) but the leather will mold to your feet and provide extra width where necessary.
I use my Danner Mountain Light II around the city as well as on multi-day backpacking trips - ie not crushed gravel path Looks awesome with Raw denim. Another key thing to remember is that the Danners have a fiberglass shank in the foodbed which really helps with the extra weight and support. It's not an ultra light hiker (read: running shoes) that will fatigue your feet on a multi day trip.
Sandhill is putting out some nice reds in the Okanagan. They produced a Petit Verdot that I enjoyed quite a bit.
I don't know exactly what you tasted, so this is not directed at anyone in particular, but I generally think it's a mistake to judge all Ontario wines by what's available in the LCBO or by the big wineries in each region. Like I said in my original post, I was most impressed by the offerings from wineries that were putting out like 1000 cases a year and never go anywhere near the LCBO.
Both of those wines were from Closson Chase. The chard was ringing in at about $45/btl.
QPR is definitely a problem, but since the vines are so young the wines are improving dramatically every year. Apparently it takes a number of years before the roots break through the clay and into the nice limestone layer underneath. Price is a problem, but quality is there (at least for my tastes). I did taste one pinot that was almost exactly like tomato paste (including basil) and a chard that tasted exactly like buttered popcorn. A little over the top. Yep, the...
Just got back from a week long wine tasting trip in Prince Edward County, Ontario. My thoughts on the region: -Prices are pretty high due to the amount of manual labour required burying/uncovering vines to protect from the cold winters -Garagiste style wines really shine - skip the bigger tourist wineries. -The terroir is evident after just a few tastings. Ancient seabed is almost identical to Burgundian soil. -Keint-He, Norman Hardie, Closson Chase, Hardwood Estates,...
Last year it was Oct 1st -ish.