or Connect

Posts by Thrifter

Also wondering about flannels... I want to try a flannel popover.
I just received a pair of shorts this week. I'll post them when I get a chance, but they turned out excellent. The only mistake was that I asked for no crease to be ironed into them but it had a crease anyway.... oh well. They are this fabric (which is excellent - sort of feels like a summer moleskin): http://luxire.com/products/washed-steel-blue-twill-chino
Beatle, I'm not going to ask for details, but are you satisfied with Luxire's response to these issues?
The lines of the lapel nicely follow the curves of the chest so that it looks "visually straight"
I wonder if hacking pockets would create the illusion of slimmer hips.
Wow that's an amazing opportunity! Here are the questions I would love to have answered - mostly so that I can better micromanage my orders *How is a written request with custom details translated and explained to the tailors? *What technical garment making terminology do they find can be troublesome and may lead to confusion? *How are pattern modifications saved for future use? Do they just pencil in a change on the previous pattern or do they make a new...
We can only guess. But for those who are learning, there is a transition from conscious competence (thinking hard about what you're doing) to unconscious competence (succeeding without thinking about it). We aren't all at the same place on that journey.
It's nice that you give them the benefit of the doubt, but I think most of the time it's just a forced sprezz failure. Someone saw it on Tumblr and thought they would give it a go.
I think you touched on something important. "Try hard" vs "Leissaz faire". A formal dimple in my mind is one that the wearer has taken great care to get right. An informal dimple just happens to occur when the tie is tied. Sort of like all of the #menswear images where the back tie blade is intentionally tied longer than the front and it looks affected. Edit: To clarify, when one "tries hard" to get a formal outfit correct in every detail it is cohesive. When one...
To me, the lack of a tie dimple implies a certain casualness - I expect a full dimple on a sharp business suit but the lack thereof seems to give the tie a more relaxed elegance. This of course implies that the wearer has made a conscious decision about whether or not to dimple the tie. Outside of iGent circles this is probably rarely the case.