or Connect

Posts by Demeter

Hey everyone, I'll be on a trip next month, and while most of it will be business, I have also set some time apart for going out and being a typical tourist, but also for visiting boutiques and artisans. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for either one. I'll be in Geneva and Florence between the 28th of June and the 8th of July, in Naples for a day or two afterwards, and then I'll be in Africa for about a month. So, what should I not miss while I am...
Quote: Originally Posted by MilanoStyle I disagree. After washing, handstitched sleeve heads look still the same, but machine stitched ones have that ugly puckers. Doesn't this happen because of the use of synthetic thread that shrinks during the wash? I may be ill-informed about this, but I seem to remember that. KCC: Unfortunately I won't even be on the continent until later that week, but thank you for the advice. I'll be on the...
Gah. I'll be a week late. The story of my life
Quote: Originally Posted by Arethusa Thanks. I suppose I'll watch them, though I'm worried that that strap at the back is velcro. Still wondering if it would be possible to mess with the CT chelseas, as I do like the look of them a lot. Any cobblers out there? meaculpa? Arethusa, it's possible, but the most complicated part isn't the work. Rather, it's finding the matching leather for the addition. Usually the best bet is to order direct...
Thank you all for your very kind words. I'm very happy that you all found the essay worthwhile and that you liked the results. Andrew, I can't thank you enough for your vote of confidence, as well as patronage and kindness. kcgreg, you give me too much credit! I'm practically blushing here! For those that were wondering about the cost - typically the cost of resoling a pair of shoes ranges from $95-125CDN, depending on whether the sole is stitched or cemented and some...
Part 3 - Et voilà Here is the end result of the work. I didn't picture any of the regular polishing or antiquing because there have been some great threads about this already and I figured I've wasted enough of everyone's time as it is. Glamour shot. The leather is for a bespoke belt for a customer, but it just happened to match the new color of the shoes. No flash, and natural light. Another one. With belt and hornback bag. Natural...
Part 2 - Cleaning and fixing the upper This part was a bit tricky because I had no idea what was on the upper to begin with. There were salt and water stains all over the toes, but there was other stuff as well. If there is a lot of dried, crystallized salt on the shoe, it can be a bad idea to put alcohol on it directly. To take care of that regular household vinegar is used. Afterwards, any water stains that remain can be taken care of with a clean cloth and either some...
This is done for several reasons. (1) Logos of some tannery on a brand new sole are ugly. (2) The soles or heels that are used can be old, and a bit dry, especially if they're kept in an arid closet in the back of the shop. A cream/moisturizer is applied liberally to the leather, and seeps in, conditioning the leather and thereby making it more durable, more flexible, especially in cold weather. (3) It allows a new finish to be put on, polished and shaded to blend in...
First, the heels are shaved down with a rotary blade wheel on an old Landis machine. Some sanding is done to make sure that the curve is even around the entire heel. This attachment is very useful because the head is curved so you've got more control over how much is taken off and at what angle. This rotary finisher is then used to give the heel a smoother finish. Edge smoothing. Yes, we do recycle. This is how the heel breast is very patiently...
Afterwards, the excess is cut off. This is done roughly because the next step is to shave it down very close. At this point we encounter a problem. The thing is that if a shoe is not properly balanced, it wears away at the heels in the wrong way, puts pressure on the wrong part of the spine, and just plain does bad things to your feet, and, more importantly, to the shoes. Here's where we first caught it: A closer inspection... ...confirmed it. To fix...