or Connect

Posts by Demeter

Am I the only one that considers overly stylized patinas on a shoe to be just a fad? If done properly, à la Berluti or even more so Lattanzi, it can be breathtaking, but I can't help but think that in a few years Kenneth Cole will be coming out with a 'hand-finished patina.' Maybe it's just the old fogey in me, but I think a purple shoe is still a purple shoe. If you can pull it off, that's great, but I'd rather stay away just in case one day my kids will find a cache of...
Quote: Originally Posted by Tomasso Michael Jordan started the big, long look in basketball shorts which eventually spread to all shorts. He has abnormally skinny legs and he had his Bulls shorts custom made to disguise that fact. Then he began losing his hair so he shaved his head. How many people shaved their heads before MJ started doing it? Kojak, Slick Watts, Yul Brenner and Mr. Clean. Just think if MJ hadn't shaved his head and instead went...
Quote: Originally Posted by demeis I would probibly say 75%. I'ma student who works but i don't really have a balance right now. I just love clothes and i have an income i can spend and no loans. However i never want to carry a credit balance. You're a rock star. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that's this un-hip (according to my friends).
I'll have to agree with everyone talking about staying out of credit card debt. I'm a student, myself, and avoid it like the plague. The way I figure, student loans are more than enough for me. Instead what I do is when I need something, I work a bit to save up money and buy it like that. That's how I bought my car, that's how I wine and dine my lady, and that's how I pay for my clothes. This way I can splurge every once in a while on a nice pair of Canali slacks, or a...
Quote: Originally Posted by pscolari Talk about a can of worms being opened. What color belt do you wear with these? You get a bespoke belt that's got both tones in it. I wonder what that will look like...
zjp, this is an absolute beauty. I think you made the right choice. I muchly prefer Patek's dress watches to their complications. The most aesthetic complications I've seen are those made by Ulysse Nardin and Vacheron Constantin.
Well, I suppose I can always trust Alex to embarrass me on *both* of the fora I frequent. Thanks for the kind words, everyone. j, actually, yeah, I'm working on article about the trade. I unfortunately had to run into a few (hundred) dead-ends in the past year and a half or so since there's no such thing on the market as a book titled "How to Make the World's Best Belts," so this would be a great thing to share. I now understand why many artisans and firms name each of...
Quote: Good habit: drive with your headlights and taillights on all the time. Do not rely on "daytime running lights" if your car doesn't turn on the rear lights. I can't tell you how many times I've seen or been in a near miss with a car that could have been visible if it had had its lights on. The marginal cost of doing this compared to the safety it adds is absolutely trivial. Plus, if you make it a habit, you will rarely forget to do it in the dark and get...
I was also under the impression that they employ artisans in various cities around the world where they have a presence. I know there was one 'maroquinier' in Montreal in their employ until his passing recently. Anyone have any additional info?
Ed, it's an amazing feeling isn't it? Last night I finished at around 5 in the morning. I didn't really want to go to bed. I certainly felt it today, though!