or Connect

Posts by mink31

Quote: Originally Posted by haganah http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/12/op...12cornell.html This war is about making an example in Georgia, about the consequences post-Soviet countries will suffer for standing up to Moscow, conducting democratic reforms and seeking military and economic ties with the West. No Eurasian country has come so far as Georgia in recent years in terms of democratization and reform. Georgia has the third-largest contingent of...
That's just a pair of mainline RL shoes with a Purple Label box.
Yeah that's an awful shirt...
Quote: Originally Posted by JLibourel Well, I'll play devil's advocate here, if I must, and put in a good word for the Russkies. The South Ossetians clearly have not wanted to be a part of Georgia since Georgia became an independent state. Most seem to want Russian citizenship. They have overwhelmingly voted to be separate from Georgian in referenda. Does the principle of self-determination of peoples count for anything anymore? Both the Georgians...
Quote: Originally Posted by Mildly Consumptive No doubt, but it takes two to tango. Did Georgia shell South Ossetia last week? Hasn't South Ossetia be a de facto independent state since the last time they fought Georgia in the 90's? Quote: Originally Posted by Manton 1) Yes. 2) No. On #1, so what? It have been unwise for the Georgians to shell, but it was not unjustified. Their people are getting killed by Russian...
Quote: Originally Posted by iammatt I am assuming that the operative word here is perceived. The answer to your question is simple. Fear. Thanks for understanding what I wrote. And if 'fear' really does prompt Russians to break the law, what are they so afraid of? It's not GULag. If you look at all recent surveys, what Russians fear most is instability and uncertainty--something that's taken the place of the Soviet-era fear of...
Quote: Originally Posted by iammatt For the most part I agree that the nationalism is the frightening aspect, though I disagree that the Russians are so similar to us at this point. On the surface, perhaps, but the lack of a respect for the rule of law, as opposed to the willingness to follow laws, marks a huge difference in my mind. Yes, but if those in power casually break the law, then why shouldn't the people follow their example? Note...
Quote: Originally Posted by Connemara The slavish devotion to the state that has carried over from the days of Communism. This is evident in the overwhelming support for Putin and his tyrannical reign. It is a totalitarian state, not a democracy. Yes, the slavish devotion of the Russian people to the state is driven by their fervent nationalism. Their hopelessness is a remnant of communism, which results in political apathy and maintenance...
Quote: Originally Posted by Connemara I hope you're kidding. They're not unpredictable extremists is what I'm saying. And what ideology do they have that so worries you? The Russians that frighten you are in fact Europeans that (for the most part) share and embrace our values. So no dangerous societal opposition.
Quote: Originally Posted by iammatt I agree and disagree. I believe, and have been saying for some time, that Russian nationalism is the biggest problem the world faces, but do not believe it is the biggest threat to the USA. Fixed. There's nothing ideologically or socially worrisome about Russia (unlike the Middle East). It's the attitude that comes from being the world's largest country (which just happens to be tamable only with an iron...