or Connect

Posts by tj100

No, they do not.
Just to elaborate on my "too polished could be held against you" comment. What we look for in analysts is very smart, very hungry kids who will run through walls for the team at 2 o'clock in the morning. Somebody who shows up in a perfectly tailored suit, hermes tie, and high end shoes screams high maintenance. These are the kinds of kids who ask "why should I" when a partner tells them to jump. For bankers (at the analyst level), the suits and ties that you wear to work...
Ultimately, it got to be a pointless exercise, because I could guess just by gut feel where the transaction was going to be. But it was interesting to see the impact of various factors (size, model, etc.).Also, I concluded that I'd rather pay the sale price @ Madison Ave and SCP for a BNIB shoe, with trees, with bags, etc. than spend hours searching B&S for a "great deal" that was only going to save me a couple hundred bucks.
Believe it or not, I used to track them on a spreadsheet (so I would be able to make reasonable offers). In Q1 2011 (a year ago), the average BNIB Lobb sold on B&S went for $508. Most expensive was $855 (it was a Philip II with trees). My spreadsheet stops in mid-summer 2011.I will say that just browsing B&S today, there are many more examples for sale than there were a year ago. Way more.
I have to say that it really doesn't matter. Wearing a suit is the only requirement. It's expected that it will be cheap and ill fitting. If anything, being too polished would be held against you.
I totally agree with this. You probably have more recent info than I do - I stopped even looking @ eBay and B&S because the prices got to a point where it was just easier to wait for the sales at Madison Ave & SCP.It used to be a rare shoe (even BNIB) that commanded more than $500 in the secondary market; now it seems like that's the entry point.
(1) I'll try to remember to take a photo at home tonight; I definitely have a few black-soled non-prestige (all loafers IIRC).(2) For BNIB examples, they probably do get a small premium, but it's pretty small. From what I've seen, the big determinents of price are size, model/color (a black City II will be a pretty expensive shoe) and whether or not the trees are with the shoes. Considering that most prestiges come with trees (and others don't) I've always believed that it...
This method doesn't work; Lobb has made non-prestige shoes with painted black soles (though they were all black, as opposed to the black/natural pattern of the bevelled waist).It's also not my experience that prestige shoes command much of a premium in the secondary market. At least, not in B&S - the eBay sellers hype everything as "prestige" and hope for the best.
Not really. The Aintree you posted clearly has a bevelled sole. It's just not painted black. The sole color doesn't have anything to do with the range that the shoe is in.
I don't own any, but I have definitely seen prestige models with an "R" stamp available for sale.