or Connect

Posts by tj100

It depends a lot on the strike price. Really early employees are likely to have options with really low strike prices ($0.10 - 0.50 a share), and for them, it often makes sense for them to exercise as they can afford to in order to hit the two year waiting period for LTCG tax treatment (so they can subsequently be ridiculed if they run for President...). For later employees, where the strike price is higher ($1+ per share), it gets more difficult to do this.Quick...
Just a minor point of clarification, because it's a pretty complex topic. Former employees are likely to be shareholders (and thus counted against the 500 shareholder limit), current employees are probably mostly optionholders (who are not counted against the limit). Since options (usually) have to be exercised when an employee leaves the company, most people will only become shareholders when they become former employees.
Um. Yeah. You've pretty much invented a definition. In a dozen years in finance, I've never understood "public" and "private" to mean anything other than whether or not the equity of the company is traded in a public exchange (from the pink sheets to the NYSE). Public companies are traded, private companies are not. A company whose shares are not traded in the public market is, by definition, private.Secondly, you've totally confused employees and shareholders in your...
IIRC (at least, back in my day, it may have changed) the sponsorship is a requirement of CFAI membership, which really only has to happen after you finish L3.
As a Charterholder myself, I find the whole thing to be a scam. I would not advise anybody to embark on the CFA program unless their current employer encouraged and financed it.
There are a few things that I would really avoid:(1) jewelry, other than a watch. No gold chains, pinky rings, school rings,etc. Really muted cufflinks (silk knots, silver monogrammed) aren't a deal killer, really gaudy ones might be.(2) Pocket square.(3) Any shoe better than a kenneth cole, UNLESS it's a black captoe. Black captoe is universally acceptable. Anything else, you're asking for criticism (if the criticism is that your shoes were shitty square toes, that's not...
No, they do not.
Just to elaborate on my "too polished could be held against you" comment. What we look for in analysts is very smart, very hungry kids who will run through walls for the team at 2 o'clock in the morning. Somebody who shows up in a perfectly tailored suit, hermes tie, and high end shoes screams high maintenance. These are the kinds of kids who ask "why should I" when a partner tells them to jump. For bankers (at the analyst level), the suits and ties that you wear to work...
Ultimately, it got to be a pointless exercise, because I could guess just by gut feel where the transaction was going to be. But it was interesting to see the impact of various factors (size, model, etc.).Also, I concluded that I'd rather pay the sale price @ Madison Ave and SCP for a BNIB shoe, with trees, with bags, etc. than spend hours searching B&S for a "great deal" that was only going to save me a couple hundred bucks.
Believe it or not, I used to track them on a spreadsheet (so I would be able to make reasonable offers). In Q1 2011 (a year ago), the average BNIB Lobb sold on B&S went for $508. Most expensive was $855 (it was a Philip II with trees). My spreadsheet stops in mid-summer 2011.I will say that just browsing B&S today, there are many more examples for sale than there were a year ago. Way more.