or Connect

Posts by tj100

I think the jury is out on that. We'd both agree that there is such a thing as being too young or too old to start a family. But my first kid was born when I was the same age that my father was when I was born, and he never struck me as "old" (I suppose he also never struck me as "cool", but that's a whole different metric).Life is full of trade-offs. I waited to have kids, and that will provide them with some opportunities that they wouldn't otherwise have (because we...
I always lived by my parents advice that "if you enjoy your career, you'll never work a day in your life." I look back on those days as a retired athlete (probably) looks back on theirs: that was fun, it was challenging, I'm really glad I did it, and I could never have kept it up into my mid 30s.You can always pick out the analysts and associates who are in it for the money. They are miserable all the time.
And that's before you get out on the road for client visits with three other 24 year olds and a partner escaping his numbing life and signing the expense approvals.
I have not one regret.My 20s were pretty awesome, especially the tail end when I had no obligations and more income than I had time to spend it. I really think that's the crux of it. It was hard, but it was fun. My fondest career memories are being in the office at 3:00am, working as a team to get something out for a breakfast meeting. I really enjoyed it. I couldn't do it now that I'm married with kids, but when I was 23? It was a lot of fun.Am I going to look back...
It's interesting, I busted my ass for 10 years (4 in banking, 6 in private equity) and there was always a group of people around (both family and friends) asking "why do you work so hard? / you have no work-life balance" or my personal favorite "on an hourly basis, I make more as a bartender than you do!"Now we're in our early/mid 30's, and these same people seem perplexed / amazed: "it's sooo hard to save up for a down payment on a house, you're sooo lucky that you could...
When I was younger, I established the absolute limit was 112 hours a week (16 hours a day, seven days) and you could only do it for two consecutive weeks, and then needed to take the third weekend mostly off to recover. That's how life used to be for IB analysts (I think it's changed a little bit). I won't pretend that we did this all the time, I probably did it six or eight weeks a year, and the normal workload was something in the 80 hour range.The big difference in...
This is an interesting twist that I hadn't really thought about, but partially agree with. As I mentioned, you absolutely need to disclose the situation to your current company, and if they're not comfortable with it, you can't do it. Even in the "I'm a shareholder" situation - unless you are the SOLE shareholder, I would give the others a heads up.The one twist is that if this opportunity came up as part of a paid buyside search (i.e. your company has an advisor on...
Not an issue because you're not being compensated by the company making the offer. Anybody can work the buyside for a fee. It would get slightly more dicey if the broker said: "hey, I'll give you $25,000 if you find somebody to buy this." Even then, you get to claim that you're working "as agent" for the registered broker-dealer.
This is a 100% normal part of the business. I did a lot of work in a very niche industry several years ago (transacted 4 of the 5 biggest players) and I still get asked to make introductions for a referral fee, even though I'm not even working in banking any more. The only conflict that you do have is to the company that you currently work for (presuming that you don't own it). You need to avoid, at all costs, the perception that you deflected a good deal from your...
I would also point out that on my first day in the econ program (top 10 undergrad) the head of the department addressed the incoming freshmen and asked: "show of hands, who here is positive that they want to pursue a PhD in economics?" About a dozen hands went up, and he replied: "you guys are all in the wrong place, head over to the math department and talk to me in four years."