or Connect

Posts by tj100

Again, I think this is a "to each their own" moment. I feel sorry for those of you who don't love your work. I would rather be at work than on vacation.
This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever read (unless you mean b/c GAAP EBITDA is an oxymoron). EBITDA is the single most important valuation metric in use on the buyside (except in some specific and unique industries). You're going to build out the cash flow model, but I don't think I've ever seen an investment thesis that doesn't involve EBITDA (at least, not since the .com bubble...).
True, but that strategy at least got you to the point where you could explain yourself.
I don't think anybody would argue that, in all cases, money = happiness. There are clearly some people in the world who are made happy by "having stuff". I'm not sure how wholesome that "happiness" is, but if that's what they want, that's cool. On the contrary, I can't think of people who are made happy by poverty. Certainly, many people who don't have much money are happy, but their lack of money is not the cause of their happiness.I would agree that "comfort and...
That's the key right there. A high GPA is a good proxy for what it takes to be an investment banking analyst. It's all about putting in the hard work and kissing your professor's (I mean, VP's) ass. How smart you are is not really important, because fundamentally, the job is not difficult.Now, if you have a lousy GPA, there are some strategies to help. If, as the earlier posted noted, you had a really poor freshman year, you could list your "GPA in major" which would...
I'd be willing to wager that relatively few people who put in the 100 hour work weeks find themselves having lost all of their savings and future prospects. Seems like more of an issue for the guys who spent their 20s smelling the roses. I know a lot of guys who lost their jobs when Lehman went bust; all of them are doing just fine.
The argument of NORE is that you could start creating "roses" now, and by waiting, they won't smell as sweet.Personally, I don't buy it, but to each his own.I think there are different paths to happiness. Mine has worked out so far for me, and his has worked out for him. Neither is the right one.
I don't fundamentally disagree with this. The difference though, is that I have the option. FWIW, this isn't a "give my kids what I never had", because I'll never be able to give my kids what my parents gave to me (and it seemed to work out all right for me). If private school is the right thing for my kids, I'm glad to have that option.You seem to think that having more money means that you won't be a very good parent. I tend to think that good parenting and financial...
I think the jury is out on that. We'd both agree that there is such a thing as being too young or too old to start a family. But my first kid was born when I was the same age that my father was when I was born, and he never struck me as "old" (I suppose he also never struck me as "cool", but that's a whole different metric).Life is full of trade-offs. I waited to have kids, and that will provide them with some opportunities that they wouldn't otherwise have (because we...
I always lived by my parents advice that "if you enjoy your career, you'll never work a day in your life." I look back on those days as a retired athlete (probably) looks back on theirs: that was fun, it was challenging, I'm really glad I did it, and I could never have kept it up into my mid 30s.You can always pick out the analysts and associates who are in it for the money. They are miserable all the time.