or Connect

Posts by NHorween

Quote: Originally Posted by Shikar A Silver money clip is the answer... Or something in color #8 (oxblood) shell cordovan...
It's a tricky job, and I thought I would at least ask... They were my great grandfather's and basically all the stitching (anything not leather) has completely fallen away or disintegrated. The shoes are pretty unique - the pattern is punched through and then woven entirely with cordovan laces. The tear is the least of the problems, the shoe trees are practically holding them together!
I have a pair of shoes that are in need of some skilled hands. The shoes are (very) old, and cordovan. I'd like to get it done in the Chicago area, but I'm realistic and want the job done right. Can anyone suggest someone that might be able to do the work? Photo seen here. Thanks,
Against my better judgment, I'll join in... Our horsehide, just like our bison and cowhide, comes from the meat packing industry. Specifically, from Canada (Quebec) and France where horse is raised as cow is for food. Horse slaughter is banned in the US, and (to my knowledge) there is no market for horse meat in the US. I would just say to read some of those articles with a grain of salt. People with an end in mind will often represent information in ways which suit...
Doing what I can to answer some recent questions... http://horween.wordpress.com/2009/08/10/brownout/
From a recent visit, for your perusing enjoyment... http://horween.wordpress.com/2009/08...adison-avenue/
Cordovan will stretch very little due to its tight fiber structure. Only part of the answer you need, I know...
Quote: Originally Posted by Chips ( guys last name was Horween) The trick that I gave you is to remove stubborn scratches, and definitely would not be beneficial or practical to do on the entire shoe. Also, I said be careful in regards to the heat! The less product you can put on shell the better, since it allows the character of the leather to show. This link was posted before, but this is a good guide to go...
Shell Cordovan also wears differently because it has a much finer structure. Meaning, the break across your foot will look great almost indefinitely (in some shoes), compared to any other leather. Cordovan develops an excellent patina over time, as most know, so lighter colors are fantastic because they really show the leather's character.
Quote: Originally Posted by AnGeLiCbOrIs A sample of these came through the plant the other day so we could match colors and finishes for the leather, the darker brown shoe on the left. It looked great.