or Connect

Posts by NHorween

Quote: Originally Posted by DWFII Thank you! If I might...is Horween offering a retanned horsefront suitable for dress shoes? I, for one, would be interested.... It might depend on the definition of dress, but we have a handful of nice options.
One of the major limitations in using horsehide for shoe uppers is weight. Horse fronts (FQHH) are naturally around 2 - 3.5 oz (0.8 - 1.4mm), with the heavier end being less common. That said, there are a handful of companies using horse front for footwear, and Thorogood makes a boot using "strips," which is the are between the front and the shell. Fratelli Rosetti made some horsefront shoes some time back - they were quite dressy. Softness/stretchiness of most areas...
Quote: Originally Posted by DWFII Well, I'll be! That is indeed a respectable shine. The swatches you fellers have sent me over the years were all oil stuffed and did not have that hard a finish on the grainside. It takes a little bit of coaxing, but that's part of the fun, right? The color 8 chukka is shell and the brown whole cut is Chromexcel - I failed to mention!
Quote: Originally Posted by DWFII The thing is...and make no mistake I think it is a fine leather...is that chromexel is an "oil stuffed" leather. What does that mean? Abandon all hope of a high shine...or even more than a gleam. Chromexcel won't take a shine like shell, but it shines up pretty well.
Quote: Originally Posted by Biggie_Robs I wear my Indies in the rain with no worries. They're more waterproof than my desert boots, which will leak in a rainstorm. I hate wet socks. The leather used in the original Indy (405) is actually considered waterproof. The other two versions are quite oily and waxy, which make them very water resistant. I wear mine in the rain all the time. While the leathers are water resistant/proof, the actual...
Quote: Originally Posted by DWFII I thought that was probably Horween leather...what was it? Latigo? Chrome excel? Chromexcel, though it's impossible to tell from the video.
The best part of the video was the American Pull-Up Leather...
A guy that puts too much product on his shoes?
Those look like veins - many hides have them. Often times they are very difficult to see when the leather is flat on a table (while cutting, for example). Certain lighting causes them to jump out, like in the picture shown.
Quote: Originally Posted by PinkPantser No known US stockists then? I've tried emailing them again to no avail. Maybe i'll have to give them a call. North American Stockists include: Bergdorf Goodman - NYC Bodega - Boston Holt Renfrew - Toronto, Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary Lavish & Squalor - Toronto Opening Ceremony - NYC & LA Philippe Dubuc - Montreal Saks 5th Ave. - NYC Steven Alan - NYC This might have been answered already, but...