or Connect

Posts by zeni

I'm your age and I got a VW Rabbit last year. I love it, it's reliable, spacious for a 2 dr (I'm 6ft, and I can fit loads of stuff driving to and from college), fun to drive (lightweight + peppy), and has features you'd expect in higher priced cars (side mirror defrost and blinkers for ex). I tested the Mazda3, also a great car, but the features, styling and drive of the Rabbit won me over. If you want to stay right around that 10k mark, my friend got a Nissan Versa (I...
Quote: Originally Posted by Tarmac the comedians (Fay et al) need to stop laughing at their own jokes. Say the joke first moron!!!!!!!!! +1 They've got this kind of smug self-consciousness that seems to be all the rage (Jon Stewart, etc). Anyway, it really doesn't do it for me. There was an obvious decline as the greats left, but I think the likes of Jimmy Fallon and Chris Kattan were the ones to put the nails in the coffin of the 90s...
I've been pretty addicted to Kitchen Nightmares and The F-Word on BBC America. Agreed about the American Kitchen Nightmares... I like it, but you don't get that same feeling of that process of changing the place around. And Hell's Kitchen is way too Americanized-reality-show. btw, my friend sent me this link the other day: http://www.seriouseats.com/2009/01/r...tmares-tv.html Quote: Know Any Failing Restaurants For Gordon Ramsay's 'Kitchen Nightmares'...
From what I've heard, hell hath no fury like a jealous Japanese woman
Quote: Originally Posted by Fuuma Dudes, don't diss manga, some of that stuff is hilarious! Note that I'm not in any way a japan-fetishist or fat guy at the back of some sort of Jap class. I just have a pretty wide range of low and high culture interests, including some European and Japanese cartoons. Amusingly enough I had a Japanese friend stay home a couple times and the first time he was here he saw I had some girl mangas in my library and...
Quote: Originally Posted by rach2jlc All very true; I don't think we're saying fundamentally different things, but just approaching them from a different perspective. As well, as I've said MANY times before... it's impossible on a forum like this (where we don't know our 'audience' or the level of familiarity that they have with a field/culture/language) to be specific, inclusive, or well-argued on nuanced, complicated topics. We generalize and become...
mininova, piratebay and torrentz.com for me.
I appreciate his affection and knowledge of independent/world/Asian cinema, I just wish he'd use it to create something other than messy postmodern pastiche. This could be completely wrong but I get the impression from watching his films that he never examined Asian films beyond that superficial-Ain't-It-Cool-News-fanboy-ish level of, "wow Asian extreme cinema lol kewl xtreme blood!" thing and as a result his films feel kind of hollow imo. That said, I think Pulp Fiction...
Quote: Originally Posted by rach2jlc Well, sometimes (or most of the time) the greatest attributes of a place/culture are also its worst. What you say is true, but conversely, what dragon and I said above is equally true, when viewing the same thing in a different light. It's sort of like the people who condemn the US for being "fat, lazy, fickly" blagh blagh blagh. Well, at the same time, our freedom of maneuverability and such are a key source of...
Yes, you could look at it in that way. And the harsher the societal oppression in Japan the more bizarre/obscene its 'tics'