or Connect

Posts by hendrix

Long post: When I'm talking about cadences, I'm talking about short chord sequences that feel like they end at "home". Ever since Bach invented the rules, 90% of cadences that end at home are V to I, at least in Western music. You can test this on your guitar. Play an E followed by an A. That's a V-I. And then an A-D. That's another V-I. D-G. G-C. C-F. etc etc. Each V-I feels like it's landing on "home". If we want A to be "home", and we want a longer cadence...
I'll be home in half an hour and will flesh out all the changes.
Bird=Charlie Parker.Actually, let's extend the ii-V-I idea to vi-ii-V-I.You're in Amaj7 at the start of the song (Fmin being the vi).The Cmin is another vi, so you're in Ebmajor at that point
Yeah learn licks.Bird is best.
I'm confusing you.Cminor-F7-Bb7. ii-V-I. You're in Bb major.But once you get to That Bb chord, it's a Bb7 (which is the V7 of Eb). So you're now in Eb major.So our keys have gone: Cmajor-BbMajor-EbMajor.
Any time you see a ii-V-I, the major scale of the I will work just fine. When you get to the I in this case, it's a I7 (Bb7), so you just have to flatten the 7 of a Bb major scale.As soon as you see the Cminor, think BbMajor scale. Once you get to the Bb7, think Ebmajor.
If you think about it, A Bb major scale will work just fine over the Cminor and F7. And then when you get to the Bb7, all you have to do is flatten the 7th. If you want to create more tension, pretend that the F is an altered chord e.g. Sharp 9, and play an altered scale over it.
Ah, that's what i mean.The Cmin7 is the ii in a ii-V-I. You're changing from Cmaj to Bb7. So you're changing from a Cmajor scale to a Bb myxolydian (same as an Eb major). The Cmin is a means to an ends. It's a cadence.So just learn some ii-V-I licks.
That is textbook jazz changes because it's full of ii-V-I chord changes. Pretty much every chord change is V to I. So for the key just look at the chord that the sequence is heading towards. I'll put up the score to ornithology when I get home. The theme is really great for playing through the changes.
Can you read music? If so, there are lots of transpositions of Charlie Parker licks and solos. He's insanely fast obviously, like all bebop players, but his solos are the gold standard in terms of utilizing arpeggios and really spelling chords out.Actually, even if you don't learn his solos and instead just learn the theme for some of his tunes, they're really based in the chords. Check out Ornithology, for example. Bebop is hard and fast and has lots of chord changes but...