or Connect

Posts by Ivan Kipling

My Rowenta fell on the concrete basement floor; it worked fine for a while, then stopped. I was able to exchange it, at place of purchase. The iron was about two years old. Tuesday Morning carries a couple of German made models. COSTCO, as well. Remember to use a pressing cloth. Cotton drill is great. Buy a yard, wash it, then cut into desired sizes.
I've seen a number of celebs, up close. Audrey Hepburn, was one of them. She was skeletally thin above the waist, with broad hips. Magnificent bone structure, but looked fearfully fragile. I was pawing through scarves once, at Bonwit Teller in Chicago. A bejeweled hand started to paw alongside my own. It belonged to Dionne Warwick. She was tall, accompanied by two very imposing bodyguards, and quiet. I sat across from Anouk Aimee and Ungaro having lunch at...
I also think LK would love L'artisan Parfumeur. I find their offerings off kilter, but in a very heady and decadent sort of way while never being gimmicky. ******************************************************* Of the niche houses, L'artisan is the one I like best. This although some of their scents strike me rather as excuses, than as creations. Agree that a number of their offerings are different, but viable. I like Voleur de Roses. Fou D'Absinthe, strikes me...
Thomas can tell you all about Yatagan. It is an extraordinary scent. I was very young when I tried it. Didn't agree with me. I've known a number of women who gravitate toward men's fragrances. My hairdresser is from Germany. She has always worn men's preparations. Many men in Europe wore the woman's version of Opium, from the time it made its debut. Jean Cocteau wore Chanel no. 5. Takes a sophisticated nose, to discern whether or not a scent is 'male'...
That could be. Many fragrances have been 'modernized' or thinned out, or reformulated during the past decades. L'Heure Bleue does not smell the way it did, when I was growing up. Neither does L'Air du Temps. Madame Rochas is barely recognizable. What a shame. I think Chanel Pour Monsieur has been altered, as well.
Yes, I wouldn't doubt it. Well, an 'off' note can help to make a fragrance smell chic. I've always thought that Chanel no. 5 smelled a little repulsive. Same with Chanel no. 19. Coco was big into 'effects' that fragrance could create. Her Gardenia fragrance, has no gardenia in it. The scent is constructed from like and opposing elements, that end up conjuring a Gardenia. I like that much more than a fragrance that's got a hundred pounds of gardenia petals,...
Jicky is Sean Connery's favorite fragrance. It was considered unisex, straight off. It's true that fecal notes seem to be discerned in some well known fragrances, from established houses. Cabochard, from Gres is an example. Cuir de Russie, is one more.
^^ I'm glad you enjoyed it. I thought the actors played off each other, to striking effects. Zachary Scott had seventeen wardrobe changes, in that film. A very chic man, heir to two great fortunes. Died at age 51. 'Two chickens, hold veg . . . '
'Dried out, eh? Eh? Label King, you doan deserve to look lak me . . . '
Mildred Pierce is another one.