or Connect

Posts by Lucy J

Heavy driving rain and gale to severe gale force gusts here in Brighton today were a real test for my new 10-rib Longchamp umbrella. Although it felt as though it might blow out on a few occassions, I kept it up and just about managed to keep control of it, despite seeing lots of other brollies which coudltn cope with the conditions..... Im pretty sure either of my Briggs would have handled today's weather fairly comfortably, but not so sure about my Fox (which I had to...
Had to give up on my solid shaft Fox umbrella last night as I was walking home from the station in Brighton. I started off walking through the torrential rain with the brolly up, but as I got down towards the seafront the howling wind really started battering it, and even with it in front of me like a shield, it felt as though it was going to buckle under the force of the gusts. There was a guy with a golf umbrella on the other side of the road, and when I saw his umbrella...
The only problem is if all gets too wild and extreme, and I can't keep the shaft in a tight grip, it gets completly out of control and I can find myself getting drenched almost immediately, especially if it's really coming down.....
Love the umbrella - and I'm with your wife on that one - I would love to be able to hang on tight to that and run my other hand up and down the sturdy shaft when things get rough.....
PIcked up a couple more umbrellas over the last month or so in anticipation of the winter wind and rain (to add to the two Briggs which I already have). One is a Fox, with maple solid stick and a chocolate coloured canopy, and the other is from Longchamp and has a solid wooden shaft (not sure which wood) and a cover which is largely dark brown but the outside 3 or 4 inches is a lovely dark purple. (Can you tell from the colour choices that I've also bought a dark brown...
Another harsh test for my cherrywood Brigg on Wednesday lunchtime, when it survived a pretty violent wind and rain storm in the City of London. Some places between the tall buildings are real wind tunnels and the rain was coming down in sheets. I had to hang on tight to the Brigg for dear life with both hands but it came through, unlike lots of other umbrellas of all sizes which ended up in bins or at the side of the pavement!
Quote: Originally Posted by JL724 I am tempted to buy another Brigg umbrella or try a Smith/Talarico but after having a couple "luxury" umbrellas blow out from NYC wind storms or have wet pants from the knee down because the umbrella isn't big enough, I can't give up my 68" Callaway golf umbrella. Certainly not as stylish as the ones posted in here but the crease in my pants isn't gone by the time I get to work. How do they measure the...
Quote: Originally Posted by stateless I am tossing up between... A Fox with a whangee handle: http://www.foxumbrellas.co.uk/acatal...Umbrellas.html A Smith with a whangee handle: http://www.james-smith.co.uk/products/fit-up-umbrella A solid stick Smith in ash: http://www.james-smith.co.uk/product...stick-umbrella A solid stick Howard Yount in oak http://www.howardyount.com/collectio...stnut-umbrella The Fox looks great, and is a decent...
Just a note that the Papworth Travel Goods website has some Brigg Golf umbrella seconds for £35 at the moment (various colours) - there seems to be some scratching on the metal shaft of the umbrella which is why they are seconds. I'm very tempted even though I already have one Brigg golfer and one Brigg solid shaft cherrywood - sturdy umbrellas are a necessity here on the south coast to battle the Brighton gales...
Quote: Originally Posted by Stever174 Thursday 11th was really wild wasnt it. I took my stormshield off my golf bag and decided I would try to use that against the weather. I also texted my near neighbour and asked her if she wanted me to collect her from her house so we walked together to the station with both of us hanging on to the shaft and cover of the umbrella to try to keep it facing the wind. Even with two of us holding it, the umbrella blew out a...