or Connect

Posts by Lucy J

Absolutely torrential in Brighton today, but at least there is very little wind, so my Brigg golfer and my trenchcoat and long boots managed to keep the worst off when I went out to get some lunch. That sort of rain with 30-40mph winds would be pretty much impossible to deal with.....
London born and bred indeed, but recently moved to Brighton because of work - still get up to London once a fortnight, maybe once a week as I stil have some work responsibilities in our London office. Love talking about the weather but its mainly wind and rain which impact on me most - what shall I wear, how can i keep dry etc etc (Im a very girly girl). Love the blue umbrella with red lining - where is that from? And as for the impact of the weather - here in Brighton we...
My Longchamp umbrella has 10 ribs, but I think the handle and shaft are separate pieces of wood rather than being a "solid". I believe James Smith do a 10-rib umbrella but only with a metal shaft. My 8 rib solid Brigg took a real battering yesterday evening, and I had to close it on the walk home from the office. I was able to use it for about half of my walk but then there is a stretch which is very exposed to the wind coming off the sea. Even with me gripping the handle...
First of the rain bands arriving now but the main storm isnt expected until about 4 or 5 pm and then will last until the morning. Apparently we are promised heavy rain and high winds for most of this week so I may have to make do with my raincape and thigh boots if its too wild for my Briggs or my Longchamp brolly. Based on my experiences in December, I dont think my Fox umbrella will handle the sort of winds we are expecting...
Just had a windy weekend with ferocious hail showers battering the windows on Sunday afternoon - luckily I didnt have to go out in it as the trees across the road were really shaking wildly and I saw a couple of people losing the fight with their umbrellas. Sunny this morning, but Ive come to the office swathed in rainwear (raincape, trilby, long boots) and carrying my wooden shafted Brigg as the forecast for this evening is torrential rain and winds of 35mph gusting to...
My wooden shafted Brigg has come in really useful with the snow recently. I was out one day and found it really useful as a walking stick (which Ive never really used it for before). The snow had stopped and I was slipping everywhere in my boots so the brolly was a real help. I'm about 5ft 9, so that takes me to about 6ft in boots, and the 27inch Brigg was just the right size....
...and still the rain continues - almost constant since my last post a week ago, and I haven't dared leave the house without one of my sturdy umbrellas. The soundtrack of the last few days has been the noise of the rain on my umbrella - sometimes pattering, but mostly battering against the fabric. Thankfully not too windy, apart from Christmas Eve afternoon when I had to walk home from the office without risking my Brigg against the winds gusting to over 40mph -...
The weather has been absolutely dreadful here in Brighton the last few days - endless rain ranging from drizzle to tropical intensity. I feel as though i have had one or other of my umbrellas permanently tied to my wrist. If anything the rain has been at its worst this morning so i had to walk to the office under my Brigg golf umbrella (biggest umbrella available), weairng my long raincape, trilby and long boots. At least the wind is only blustery today (15-20mph) rather...
Heavy driving rain and gale to severe gale force gusts here in Brighton today were a real test for my new 10-rib Longchamp umbrella. Although it felt as though it might blow out on a few occassions, I kept it up and just about managed to keep control of it, despite seeing lots of other brollies which coudltn cope with the conditions..... Im pretty sure either of my Briggs would have handled today's weather fairly comfortably, but not so sure about my Fox (which I had to...
Had to give up on my solid shaft Fox umbrella last night as I was walking home from the station in Brighton. I started off walking through the torrential rain with the brolly up, but as I got down towards the seafront the howling wind really started battering it, and even with it in front of me like a shield, it felt as though it was going to buckle under the force of the gusts. There was a guy with a golf umbrella on the other side of the road, and when I saw his umbrella...