or Connect

Posts by Lucy J

You may see Brighton on the news tomorrow. The morning forecast is for torrential rain and sustained 50mph winds gusting to over 80mph. Don't know if I will be able to make my normal 20 minute walk to the office in that but if I do it will be in my long hooded raincape with the hood tightly tied. I don't think any of my brollies will survive that but I will probably take my 10 rib James Smith with me even though I don't think I will dare open it.....
Of the stormy days or of the glorious days?? If you want to see an example of the winds I have to battle with, put "GMTV" and "Brighton" into YouTube, and you will see a reporter who was standing at the end of the street that my office is in - yes - this was a day when I had to close even my solid stick Brigg..... We get that sort of weather two or three times a winter.....
We have a lot of beautiful days as well, even in winter when a crisp bright cold day can be gorgeous!! It's just that when it's bad it can be REALLY bad, and I guess it would be the same if I was in Plymouth, Blackpool, Aberystwyth etc etc - we usually get three or four 70mph days each winter and when it's like that it really can be a case of trying to stay on your feet - my office is in one of the side streets leading down to the seafront and the winds really howl up...
Thanks for this - I will check it out. A few of my umbrellas are "premium" makes - solid stick Brigg, Brigg golfer, solid stick Fox, solid stick 10-rib Longchamp, 10-rib James Smith (as well as a few vented golf umbrellas or lower-cost models).... The James Smith is a recent purchase so it hasn't really been tested by the weather here yet but I'm sure it will get a severe examination over the winter. Of the other "high end" brollies, I have to say the Fox feels the most...
I will have a look at those next time I am in London (I get up there on average every two or three weeks). I spend most of my time in Brighton where its often a case of battling the coastal winds/gales/storms (delete as appropriate) with one of my collection of umbrellas. Default is a solid wood cherry Brigg but I'm a bit of an umbrellaphile and have a collection of almost 20 brollies of various shapes and sizes... do you think the Marengo/Maglia would hold up in gale...
Does the fact that it's got a detachable handle create a point of weakness if the umbrella is being buffetted by heavy gusts?
If I were you Steve I would ring the shop in Piccadilly Arcade and talk to someone there about the colour choices. I popped in a few weeks ago when I was i London for the day and only just managed to resist buying myself another brigg!
That's gorgeous - did you get it in London or somewhere else? I know I have more than enough umbrellas but I would love something like that... Some girls buy lots of shoes but I buy lots of umbrellas (actually if I'm honest I buy far too many shoes as well......)
Did you get your set of Briggs Steve? What colours and woods did you go for - and are they being well used?
Four Briggs! That will be scarily expensive.... You might also want to consider their golf umbrellas which retail for £100 or so rather than the £300 or so for solid stick. Ive had my solid cherry now for about 8 years, and my Brigg golfer for about 3 or 4 years - the golfer replaced an earlier Brigg golfer which was wrecked in a dreadful storm when I really shouldnt have been using it as the winds were a steady 45-50mph gusting up to over 70mph.......