or Connect

Posts by Lucy J

Managed to avoid the rain on Tuesday so my 10-rib James Smith gents umbrella was spared, but I LOVE hats and wear them almost every day in winter. Was wearing my red fedora yesterday and had to keep a really tight grip on that as the gusts were ferocious. I have about as many hats as I have umbrellas....
Gosh this thread has gone quiet.... Expecting our first real storm of the autumn tomorrow (ex-hurricane Gonzalo) although its a modest 50mph predicted rather than some of the violent storms we had last winter. I had to get my cherry wood solid stick Brigg repaired after it was torn inside out one evening last December, and then my beautiful Longchamp brolly and my 10-rib James Smith also had to be put back together after the winds blew them to bits in January and February...
Anyone know if/how I can source a full size Davek umbrella in the UK, or do I have to get one sent over from the States? Plus does anyone have experience of how wind-resistant they are??
Still stormy here on the south coast as it has been pretty much for the last fortnight - the weather has been beyond what I could expect any umbrella to handle with frequent gusts of between 60 and 80 mph, normally accompanied by torrential rain. Day after day ive been relying on my hooded raincape.....
Re the final sentence above, I was chatting to a girlfriend this morning who lives in London and she said that her ladies full-length Fox umbrella was completely blown out on Wednesday whilst she was walking down one of the streets leading up to London Bridge station. The frame was broken and the metal shaft bent at an angle of almost 45 degrees!!!
I was shopping in Brighton as well but didnt even take a brolly after Wednesday' Brigg breakage... Did think of taking my 10-rib James Smith but in the end relied on my long hooded cape and boots. So many broken umbrellas in the streets by the end of the afternoon yesterday...
As Steve says, exactly the same thing happened to me that evening. My solid cherry Brigg blew out in Brighton and three of the ribs have been broken - Brigg have quoted £64 for a new frame and of course there may be other damage when they have a proper look at it. Definitely worth a repair for me as a new cherry wood is approx £300 these days. I was so sad that evening as Ive had it for about 9 years and its sheltered me against London and Brighton wind all that time, and...
You may see Brighton on the news tomorrow. The morning forecast is for torrential rain and sustained 50mph winds gusting to over 80mph. Don't know if I will be able to make my normal 20 minute walk to the office in that but if I do it will be in my long hooded raincape with the hood tightly tied. I don't think any of my brollies will survive that but I will probably take my 10 rib James Smith with me even though I don't think I will dare open it.....
Of the stormy days or of the glorious days?? If you want to see an example of the winds I have to battle with, put "GMTV" and "Brighton" into YouTube, and you will see a reporter who was standing at the end of the street that my office is in - yes - this was a day when I had to close even my solid stick Brigg..... We get that sort of weather two or three times a winter.....
We have a lot of beautiful days as well, even in winter when a crisp bright cold day can be gorgeous!! It's just that when it's bad it can be REALLY bad, and I guess it would be the same if I was in Plymouth, Blackpool, Aberystwyth etc etc - we usually get three or four 70mph days each winter and when it's like that it really can be a case of trying to stay on your feet - my office is in one of the side streets leading down to the seafront and the winds really howl up...