or Connect

Posts by Lucy J

Sorry to hear that Imogen and Katie blew your Brigg and Fox golfers to destruction Steve! I didn't even try to hold an umbrella against Katie but relied on my waterproof coat, long boots and sou'wester to get me to the office that morning. Even without a brolly it was a struggle to make progress against the storm or violent storm force winds..... She certainly was a bad girl!!I did buy a bark chestnut Brigg solid from Henry Poole when I dropped my Longchamp off in London...
Not sure I agree with your idea that a brolly is female Steve.... We ladies are always entirely charming and hardly ever high maintenance.......
Off up to London tomorrow for a couple of meetings, so will aim to drop my Longchamp off for repairs - they did a great job when it last was damaged in Feb 2014 so I'm hoping it will be OK again.Its a lovely brolly with 10 ribs and a cotton rather than nylon canopy but even the 10 ribs couldn't hold against the awful pounding it was taking from Imogen in Brighton.. If I get a chance I may drop into Henry Poole on Savile Row. It's just round the corner from Longchamp on...
Luckily the frame of my Longchamp didn't snap when it was blown in on itself but five of the 10 ribs buckled as the frame just couldn't take the violent pounding it was getting from the gusts and sustained high winds. I'm going to take it back to the shop in London sometime next week. Let me know if you get a new Brigg. I've got two solid shafts and two 27 inch golfers -haven't tried a 30 inch yet but maybe will next time. I heard about the London storm from a couple of...
Same problem for me Steve.... Was trying to hold my Longchamp 10 rib umbrella against the winds of Imogen in Brighton. Rain lashing down too so I foolishly risked the brolly when it would have been wiser to accept a drenching. Was holding the umbrella tightly in both hands, and keeping it in front of me like a shield as the wild gusts were trying to rip it out of control. Had to really lean forward as well to stay on my feet but the gusts were so violent that it was three...
As regards Loden canopy, won't it get very heavy when wet? Looks like a beautiful brolly though - would be good to see pictures of it open then we can get the real effect and also see the shaft. All my umbrellas are nylon except for a couple of clear PVC dome umbrellas and my two Longchamp walking umbrellas which have a cotton canopy. They aren't particularly heavier than the nylon covers but do take a lot longer to dry out if they get really soaked.
I've heard people talk about the 10-rib being more wind resistant but I'm not sure, from personal experience, that that is always true. I collect umbrellas just like I collect shoes, and because I'm very tall I tend to go for the men's full length style. Among my "high-end" umbrellas I have two solid (cherry and hickory) shaft Briggs and a solid maple shaft Fox (all with 8 ribs) and I have two Brigg golf umbrellas ( both with curved wood handle, thick metal shaft, and 8...
Intense summer downpours - rain of tropical intensity - on and off during August in Brighton and London, so my royal blue Brigg golfer has been given a real baptism. Not much in the way of wind to test it but I'm confident that it is my sturdiest umbrella at the moment. Whether that will be enough for storm or even violent storm winds in the coming months remains to be seen.....
Treated myself to a new Brigg curved handle golf umbrella (27 inch frame) last week. Went into the shop intending to buy another solid wood umbrella but couldn't really justify £300 or so when I already have two Brigg solids. So I came away with a bright royal blue golfer for approx £125. The blue is very distinctive and eye-catching, but what really sold me on it was that when I opened it, the mechanism seemed much stiffer and tighter than the other four or five golfers I...
Polished chestnut is retailing for £218 on the Fox UK website at the moment and approx £230 - £250 at a couple of my favourite London umbrella retailers....Looks like a real bargain. Where are you based?L