or Connect

Posts by prozach1576

Quote: Originally Posted by landho Neuromancer is incredible--one of the best novels written in the twentieth century without any qualifiers of its being science fiction necessary. It's pretty difficult to read if you're not reading it closely; Neuromancer is written very densely, almost Hemingwaylike, and there is a lot of information about the world the novel inhabits to be gleaned implicitly, from seemingly throwaway statements or bits of...
Quote: Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife ^ That book was really good, a good place to start for those curious about the Gibson universe. The one after it, not so good. He peaked (early) with Neuromancer and he seems to be just diluting his work ever since. Funny, I think Cayce would have an allergic reaction to the Buzz Rickson William Gibson collection MA-1. I've read Neuromancer too, and while I definitely appreciated its...
Quote: Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife I hear Woody Allen's voice... Deconstructing Harry? At the risk of derailing, I saw Interiors for the first time recently. Very Bergman, but easily his best serious picture. Amazed it took me so long to get around to it. Yeah, it doesn't get enough praise because people dismiss it as simply a good Bergman tribute, but it's a stunning film in its own right.
Quote: Originally Posted by topbroker Alan Moore/Eddie Campbell, From Hell -- I like to have a graphic novel in progress, and Ripperologist that I am, I've been meaning to get to this one for years. I read this a few months ago. It's fantastic. Pretty incredible that one of the most dense, erudite things I've read in the last year was a graphic novel.
Add me to the list of people who failed miserably at Gravity's Rainbow. I made it 70 pages in. The thing is that I was really enjoying it because his prose is so masterful but it was SO DENSE. I'm going to try it again this summer. V. is easily one of my top five favorite books. I tried and failed to read it about three times before I actually made it past the first 50 pages, but after that I absolutely loved it. "Mondaugan's Story" is one of the most amazing things I've...
I've only watched the first part so far. I like the acting and writing a lot, but the camerawork is TERRIBLE. I'm so sick of the handheld quasi-cinema verite look becoming the default for everything on TV. It works in many cases, but not in a historical epic. It doesn't make it edgy, it's just distracting. Give me composed, cinematic camerawork a la The Wire.
I just started Pattern Recognition by William Gibson. I think a lot of people around these parts would really enjoy Gibson's stunning observations about modern style and culture.
Quote: Originally Posted by coachvu A Man in Full by Tom Wolfe. It's good but not great. I enjoyed Bonfire of the Vanities much more. He really needed an editor to make him remove a couple hundred pages. Also, he spends too much time describing certain details. Every architectural detail, every sartorial detail; he has sentences with nothing but lists of architectural terms. He spends lots of time describing things he likes (clothing, expensive...
I don't watch much TV to speak of, but I do watch a lot of movies and have been playing a fair amount of video games with my new equipment. I've got like 250 DVDs and use Netflix religiously, so a big TV is almost necessary to get the full value out of my collection.
Quote: Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim I like the HD-A3, but GODDAMN does it take forever and a day to boot up. Seriously, its like three minutes. Have you updated your firmware yet? Yeah, it's kind of annoying and no I haven't updated it yet.