or Connect

Posts by Gutman

the florsheim ones are quite good - cedar split toe with a sprung plastic handle. i sometimes use the "coiled spring" cedar trees, but they are too strong for many shoes.
so many issues here. first, the effect of a polish greatly depends on the type of leather, how soft and porous it is. applying darker colour polishes is generally more effective on less porous grain leathers or corrected grains. it builds a nice patina, which i don't think you can get with neutral polishes. you need to assume you shoes will darken overall however. some polishes have more pigment than others, and that can affect things as well. don't ever use a polish...
You can get more wear out of them because they look better as they age. You can resole indefinitely. Also, once you get the bug you will have lots in your rotation which makes them appear last even longer. If you go for classic lasts the styling won't date either.
Generally she likes my stuff, although i get the odd comment on the number of shoes i have "accumulated". only adverse reactions are on some of my more extreme items (ie, a jeevesian "are you wearing that to work today?"), and generally i end up agreeing with her on those. so a positive influence all round. best bit is she likes thrifting as much as me which is great.
Quote: Originally Posted by foodguy Ole's Swedish hot cakes Total time: 20 minutes Servings: 4 Note: This recipe comes from the Little River Inn just south of the town of Mendocino. The pancakes can be served with maple syrup or a big spoonful of strawberry sauce in the center. To really gild the lily, you can top that with a spoonful of whipped cream. 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter 1 cup flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1 teaspoon...
standard flour, 1 egg, and 50/50 water and milk (err on side of water). butter in pan, then cook. syrup or brown sugar on top, then roll up. yum or something like asparagus, mushroom, bacon, white sauce wrapped up and baked with grated cheese on top. double yum
1812 Overture
maybe the gardner gave it to him
Quote: Originally Posted by Albern My logic for translating guitar onto violin was based on the fact that - they are tuned the same (E, A, D, G) but in different octaves - thus the chromatic scale on each string was the same but had to be scaled down for a violin - obviously there are other factors such as no frets, fret markings, etc... Therefore conceptually they are the same with respect to being able to identify where each note is; what am I...
Quote: Originally Posted by amerikajinda A bit confused about the meaning of this - I'm probably misinterpreting -- but you're saying that the cello is played at a slower speed than the violin? Quote: Originally Posted by CDFS The point is moot, since Huntsman doesn't want to play the cello, but if that's an example of fast playing on a cello, it's certainly not fast in comparisson to pieces to be found for the...