or Connect

Posts by cthip

Viberg Service Boot - unlinedRedwing Iron Ranger - unlinedWhite's Semi-Dress - unlinedNick's Robert - unlinedThis style of boot is typically not lined. While they might feel slightly less "polished" (and hey, they're not a pair of cap-toe balmorals so boots are supposed to feel a little rough), there's no functional difference, and certainly no deficit in terms of shape or durability. In fact, my unlined 1Ks are made of significantly thicker leather than my leather-lined...
What are the perceived benefits of lined boots, in your opinion? And, how much additional would you be willing to pay for said benefits?Full-disclosure, I do own at least one pair of lined boots in addition to my (obviously unlined) 1Ks.
As noted earlier, several of the reputable tailors in this thread are not interested in doing shirts. They have no problem staying busy doing only the bigger jobs.I'm sure if you look around hard enough you'll find somebody who will do it, but as mentioned above, most of the shirts in Manhattan are tailored by your neighborhood dry cleaner.You're gonna have to do this the old fashioned way. Use yelp, or call the department stores and find out who they send their...
Just FYI, I may have misinterpreted the above, but the kibata ST cut is not currently available at SENY. The SL cut is in stock and looks SWEET!
Samesies.
I've only been to a few of tailors in NYC, but none of them wanted to do shirts. They only wanted bigger jobs like suits and sportcoats. I suspect most people would just go to the dry cleaner for something as simple as slimming a polo shirt.
Thanks, "transformation" is definitely the right word! The photos really can't even really capture just how much better the boots are now than they have ever been. Brian's work isn't cheap ($225 for my pair), especially considering that I only paid $250 for the boots to begin with. For comparison, I had previously paid about $180 for a new welt and stitched Itshide commando sole from B. Nelson, so Brian's cost isn't out-of-line considering how much more handwork he does...
Here are some before/after photos from my recent Role Club/Brian the Bootmaker re-sole with a storm welt and Vibram 435 sole. Before: After:
I wear mine year-round, just choose your socks wisely. When it's hot out, I like the thinnest Icebreaker/Smartwool type sock I can find. I find they wick moisture, breathe well, and resist odor.Synthetic socks like CoolMax will probably work too.
The 1Ks also do come in #8, and so Rust and Brown are actually both somewhat different from it. Having said that, Brown will be furthest from #8 since it has no trace of red at all. It's very much a medium walnut-brown color. Rust does have quite a bit of red in it, and IMO looks sorta like a lighter shade of #8.