or Connect

Posts by Bounder

Ouch. Now that is harsh.I can't speak for anyone else, but IRL, such as it is, I can assure you that I do not consider a discussion of how much you paid for your new car particularly scintillating either.I do not quite see where you are going with this. Yes, of course, a carpet has value to its owner and the owner is free to value any aspects of the the carpet any way they wish, including the provenance. The question is, with respect to interior design, just how...
You're certainly a quick learner.One day later, you bought a carpet on-line.This is, of course, an argument against making a fetish of "authenticity". It's hard to imagine a more graphic example of "divorcing something from tradition" than taking what may well have been a Beni Ourain bedspread woven with fertility symbols and chucking it on the floor of your Manhattan apartment because the pattern looks nice with your sofa. In this sense, the Pottery Barn carpet would...
You know what they say about foolish consistency.Absolutely correct. When it comes to aesthetics, a thing is beautiful or not in itself and in relation to other things. Thinking something is more or less beautiful after you discover it is "authentic" is the antithesis of taste.An excessive focus on "authenticity" is no more tasteful than an excessive focus on cost. It is both boorish and vulgar.Too much emphasis on provenance and you end up with this.Authenticity may be...
This is new.I kept "harping on about the dealer" because you were basing your decisions on the "information" she had provided you.Now, however, you seem to be focusing more on the thing itself rather than the wonderful story that went with it. Good for you. This, from my very first post, is the point I was making.If you have concluded that this is a decent exemplar of Beni Ourain style and construction, then you have a "genuine" carpet. Whether it was made in a tent at...
Yes, it's Foo's forum. We just post in it.It's not necessary a copy of anything. India has been making "Persian" carpets for 500 years. They've consequently developed their own traditions. Some cities in Iran that make outstanding carpets have only been at it for a 100.Having said that, your carpet looks vaguely like a Hamadan, given the repeating geometric pattern and the predominance of blue and red. But, judging from the pictures, your carpet is a bit too wide to...
Yeah. That's one of SF's biggest problems: clueless tourists from Berkeley.
Perhaps not, but you certainly do.Handmade stuff always has slight irregularities that make each piece unique. Even your very regular carpet has a slightly wonky border, especially if you view it from the back, that would make it instantly recognizable to the owner, especially if the owner had woven the thing.And, once again, the internet carpet dealer almost certainly doesn't actually know the history of this carpet. It has probably been through any number of hands...
About 128 KSI -- They look like Turkish knots in the picture.Cotton baseLikely India, though you can't really tell from a picture.
You think?Do you detect, perhaps, a certain tension between the idea that each one of these carpets is a one-of-a-kind, completely unique expression of the Beni Ourain spirit, lovingly hand-woven by proud tribal women who think of each carpet as one of their children and the suggestion that they have to weave random bits of fluff into them to tell them apart at "communal celebrations"?Once again, I am not an expert on these carpets but I have never heard this particular...
Really? This is the best I could find, though I might not have done a very exhaustive search.As an aside, one of my rules to live by is never buy anything from a site where you can't easily find a physical address and, preferably, a phone number. "The Ourika Valley" doesn't quite do it for me.I would be pretty disinclined to buy a carpet on-line, but if I had to choose one of these, I would be substantially more comfortable dealing with the French guys. At least they...