or Connect

Posts by Bounder

First, let's see the back and the fringes. That rug does look like it has a lot of wear. My WAG based on the wear patterns is that it is actually cotton but I could easily be mistaken. If it is wool, it has been in a high traffic area for a long time. If the rug was hand-knotted, you can usually tell from a close examination of the fringes whether the base is cotton or wool.As for paisley, the pattern originally comes from Northern India or, depending on how your view...
Get the uncoated one and use this.http://www2.dupont.com/Stone_Care/en_US/products/prod_pgs/sealer.htmlUntreated marble, especially light-colored marble, is prone to staining. If it is somewhere where there is any risk of that, you do need to seal it. Otherwise, the first time you spill some wine, you will be . . . displeased.This stuff works great. The only thing is that you need to re-apply it every few years. But all you have to do is wipe it on and let it dry.
Even better, or maybe worse, as I understand the concept, eating rice out of bamboo trunks in Prague isn't wabi sabi at all.
The biggest problem is all those windows.They give you a view of, well, Texas.
That's the expression I was trying to think of earlier. It is kind of hard to translate. But wabi means something like harmony/balance and simplicity. Part of that is "less is more". Sabi is more complicated. IIRC, it connotes transience or sometimes imperfection. It is hard to explain but these two concepts are linked. So an Ikebana is sabi but so is an old teapot.
It was probably Bloomberg.
Certainly, Japanese aesthetics has always been a work in progress. I think it's particularly interesting how they developed in a bubble for 250 years without any outside influences. The "austerity" developed over time as did its meaning. Japanese aesthetics had -- has -- a serious and coherent philosophical basis. That philosophical basis isn't something that comes naturally to me. To be honest, I find the Zen bits to be mostly gibberish. But there are other parts...
Don't foo yourself. You do care about the story. You just care about the particular bits of the story that you care about.Imagine two identical carpets. Each is handmade and each has the same level of craftsmanship. Each uses undyed wool, etc. Just looking at the carpets, you cannot tell anything else about them except that they are nice hand-knotted carpets made up in the Beni Ourain style.Now suppose you know that one of these carpets was made in India in a workshop...
I'm sure you look very charming.
Unless it is a carpet.