or Connect

Posts by Bounder

I agree. The food supply system is absurdly safe in this country. For example, trichinosis, which used to be a real problem, is almost completely wiped out in the U.S.. IIRC, there are maybe 20 cases a year in the entire country.Having said that, contamination does happen, especially e.coli and, to a lesser extent, salmonella. You hear about e. coli "outbreaks" as big news but exposure is actually pretty common. Most people will get little more than an upset stomach. There...
Timer + frozen steak?
Well, that's true. But if as many people ate steak tartare as eat salads, I bet there would be a lot more.
Not dying, exactly, but still.
What about those long summer evenings when good friends eat chips and salsa and drink cold beer while gathered the Anova Precision Cooker?Why do you hate America, Gomestar?
I suppose there is less danger of cross-contamination. But the meat already (probably) has bacteria on it when you buy it. When you grind it up at home, you're still mixing bacteria throughout the meat..And sometimes you do die from eating steak tartare.
Don't get me wrong, I'm all about the blowtorch. But is there any reason you can't just chuck your steak under a broiler for 30 seconds on each side? I like the idea of pan searing in butter. Not only will it add flavor, it ought to allow you to do a pan sauce. Regarding hamburger -- I was looking this up the other day -- you can do it sous vide, but you have to hold it at temperature much longer to make sure you have knocked down the bacteria. Steaks only have bacteria...
Sounds like the plot for a movie, a sort of "Four Lions Take Manhattan." Terrorists riding the subway on their way to an attack in NYC are foiled by the MTA and its denizens. In the final scene, an out-of-work minor league baseball player administers the "slap of justice" and knocks the lead terrorist backwards down a non-functioning escalator.
If you're going to eat popcorn in the San Francisco thread, it had better be artisanal popcorn.
Sugarbutch, what kind of popcorn should I get? I guess the choices are Thatcher's, Cornology and 479. Of course, these all serve organic, GMO-free popcorn, but 479 offers organic, GMO-free, heirloom popcorn so I'm kind of leaning that way. On the other hand, Cornology has a better name. I'm leaning against Thatcher's because Thatcher.Please advise!