or Connect

Posts by Bounder

Wow. That's bazaar. How many sellers would you guess are there?
needs moar terrarium balls.
Interesting point. Foo's room is reminiscent of that. A traditional Japanese room would be primarily in earth tones. The visual center would be the tokonoma, a recessed alcove that contained a hanging scroll, ikebana -- a traditional flower arrangement -- and possibly a piece of pottery. The tokonoma was to the traditional Japanese living room as the TV typically is today.While the ikebana might contain a splash of color, most of the emphasis in decoration was on...
Thank you. I like to think so.Only on my cheese.
I know, and I really don't get it. Learning to get inside arguments and appreciating ambiguity are pounded into American lawyers from day 1. I have remarked before that I do not understand how he is able to function. I'm guessing he is doing transactional work where you can get away with a little more rigidity. But even there, intellectual flexibility can be pretty important.So is a trainwreck, if you are into that sort of thing. The Foo emoticon could just as easily...
Holy crap. I get it now. The sun of illumination shines upon me. Foo's entire SF career has just snapped into focus.Foo does not know what a conversation is. He thinks "conversation" and "argument" are synonymous.Foo, on a visceral level, this isn't going to make any sense to you, but I'm sure you can follow along on a purely intellectual basis.First, a conversation is not an argument. It is a very different thing, to quote a quite interesting essay in The Economist on...
They started in Japan but they are very popular in China and Taiwan, too, and have been for a long time. They are even starting to catch on in other parts of Asia.
Hilarious. Classic Foo. You reject all these views because you do not agree with them. Hence, in Foo-world, they are stupid.But people's reactions do not have to be "convincing." You post all these pictures and ask, "Do you like my living room?" Dopey says, "The two patterns you have are too close together both in size and space. They bother me." You say, "No, you can't use pattern-matching rules here. Ergo, it's fine." I point out that with your current setup,...
FTFYYou've already been provided with several nuanced views. I think your room is either too white or not white enough. Dopey thinks the only two patterns in the room clash. Lefty has commented on the proportions. Manton suggested you get a fake Rothko.And really, whether you like it or not, everyone's eyes are going to be drawn immediately to the one point of color you have allowed into the room. Maybe that's the effect you were going for -- it is quite a nice money...
I'll buy that. It does create new social horrors, though. Organizing a dinner party is hard enough without have to vet your guest list to make sure no one clashes with your decor.But the real problem is that when you are the only person in the room, the room looks just like it does in the picture. In Foo's case, he will be driven slowly mad as he stares fixedly at the clashing patterns and the chips in his table.