or Connect

Posts by Bounder

This. Plus, a lot of these jobs require migrant labor. They're subsistence-level, if that. So they're not a great loss, especially if the people who had them relocate somewhere.And how much economic disruption is cutting urban water usage by 25% going to cause? There are already lot of reasons for companies not move to -- or even to move out of -- California. To put this in perspective, Google alone had 66 billion USD in revenue last year. That's 50% more than the entire...
One of the most notable things about Brown's recent order is that it placed no restrictions on agriculture which accounts for 80% of water usage in California. So if everyone else cuts back 25% as per the plan, California will still be using 95% of the water it would normally use.I'm starting to think that agriculture to California might be what coal mining was to the UK: dirty, dangerous jobs that the economy could do without. If agriculture in California's Central Valley...
Things that Americans like are not necessarily things that are popular in a cuisine's home country. Consequently, a lot of ethnic recipes get adapted for local tastes and, so, aren't considered particularly great by people who grew up in that country eating that cuisine. In New Zealand, Mexican restaurants serve lamb tacos with mint sauce. We've all been subjected to, ahh, whimsical adaptations of well-known dishes while traveling.So, as Gomestar notes, an ethnic...
Always a problem with ethnic food. Go to a Chinese Chinese restaurant (as opposed to an Americanized one) and you take your life in your hands.
The tenderloin? Union Square is bad enough. The last time I was there, I was accosted twice by . . . well, I don't know what they were exactly. One of them, I guess, was a homeless person who was floridly schizophrenic and shouting. The other was wearing a speedo and cowboy boots.
Yes, probably not the photos. Have you tried changing your tie/pocket square combo?
Don't you like popcorn in Germany?
I did some sous vide popcorn last night. I gave it 6 hours at 190F and I put half a teaspoon of truffle oil in the bag with the kernels. I thought it came out pretty well. The truffle oil added a lot of flavor and the popped corn came out noticeable larger than normal, I guess because of the vacuum. The consistency seemed about the same as microwave popcorn, which I often burn trying to get the last kernels to pop. That's something you don't have to worry about with...
One difference is that, when you are representing a client at a firm, you are often trying to get them out of trouble. When you are the in-house GC, you are more often trying to keep them out of trouble.
FTFY