or Connect

Posts by Bounder

Once again, I am not saying there is anything inherently wrong in treating something as a pure art object even when it was supposed to be something else. I am saying that the form-follows-function "rule" has pretty obviously been violated.With respect to your Japanese "vases" that have holes in the bottom, there is a good chance they were originally intended to be lamp bases rather than vases.
First, what happened to the Multiquote button?Second, I don't see anything wrong with this. Personally, I don't like knickknacks and something that pretended to by a vase but could not be used as a vase would get on my nerves as I would find it slightly pretentious.But you are doing something else, I think. In fact, a couple of different things. While an object might be currently useless, that does not mean it is either pretentious or badly-designed. It might have been a...
There's an old story -- probably apocryphal -- about Churchill sitting next to a socialite at dinner. Churchill asked her if she would sleep with him for a million pounds. The lady laughed and agreed. Churchill then offered her one pound and the outraged woman spluttered, "What kind of person do you think I am?!?" Churchill replied, "We've already established that. Now we are just haggling over the price."I have not missed anything. You have arbitrarily decided that your...
+1The problem I have with steakhouses is that they allow for no illusion about how badly you are being screwed. When I go to most restaurants I think, "Wow, this is really good! The chef did a great job!" When I go to a steakhouse I think "Wow! this is really good! I could have cooked this myself at home for 1/10 the price!"
Personally, I would not want a badly-functioning vase, even if it were interesting looking. It would annoy me. This may be for the same reason that you get so upset over Piobaire's mediocrely-taut chair cushions.Moreover, this kind of blase indifference to good design in favor of aesthetics ultimately leads to things like swan beds and E-type Jaguars, so you have to be careful.But the bottom line here is that, while you criticize him, your position and Piobaire's are...
Quelle surprise.I am in the form-should-follow-function camp. This applies equally to a chair and a vase. Some things, e.g. a piece of sculpture, are pure form and, hence, the form is the function. But something like a vase must be a good vase or it is poorly designed, no matter how, ahh, unusual it looks.If it is OK for you to have a poorly-designed vase because you find it pleasant to look at, it is equally OK for Piobaire to have a poorly-designed chair because it is...
Really? I put flowers in them. You're thinking of knickknacks.
I can't deny it.First, if you're allergic to vapidity, modern design may not be the hobby for you. Have you ever read any of the descriptions/explanations/justifications that designers -- or at least their copywriters -- attach to their work?Second, there have been lots of substantive comments about your lamps. I've made a couple myself. They might not be up to your hermeneutical standards, but there you are.Finally, your vase is a joke.It was a joke when you bought it. It...
His point is that that is a terrible design.Bongs are supposed to be much more elegant.