or Connect

Posts by Bounder

Not true. Wedding ties, by definition, have a limited palette, black, white, silver, grey and, occasionally, dark blue. POW, sheppards check and houndstooth are classics, but there are lots of acceptable patterns. Sam Hober has several, for example.http://www.samhober.com/formal-wedding-silk-ties/Personally, I prefer a small houndstooth as I think it's visually interesting but not intrusive which makes it fine for things other than...
Wow. Your mom has a pretty serious jewelry collection!Is it my imagination or is the top not level in that photo?
Hilarious. Well played.
It's a very nice chair but that seems a little extreme.
This is exactly why I look for pre-war works. I think the sweet spot is slightly earlier than that say, 1890-1920. Before that date and they start to get expensive. After 1920 or so, and especially post-war, the quality goes way down and you start to get industrial production methods, less-skilled workmanship, poor quality materials and more garish designs.But in that sweet spot you can find some beautiful work. At the end of the nineteenth century, the traditional...
I suppose it is common, in a sense. This particular motif is something that virtually every Japanese household would have owned. Most houses would have several different scrolls and would rotate them depending on the seasons, etc. Only one would be hung at a time and it would hung in a particular place, the tokonoma, which was a sort of centrally-located alcove in the main room of the house. The one you are looking at is a stylized theme that would be hung for birthdays,...
Some of these are great. Can you really buy them from the site? I can't get it to show any prices or ordering info. Plus, I'm having trouble believing that they have an original of "Under the Wave Off Kanagawa" for sale.
Haha. Henry Sotheran was one of the places I was thinking of when I mentioned that the woodblock prints I had seen were quite expensive. The older ones run a couple of thousand pounds. More for actual antiques.BTW, SG, you should be aware that "the floating world" is essentially a euphemism for brothels. Journeyman's prints are probably stunning in more ways than one.