or Connect

Posts by Bounder

I am by no means an expert in Beni Ourain carpets. My interest is more in the "Persian" variety. Having said that, most of the allegedly authentic Beni Ourain carpets I have seen do tend to look like they were made by eight-year-olds at summer camp. These close-ups, especially of the back, do look suspiciously "clean".But since the internet carpet dealer said it was an authentic 30-year-old carpet full of mystical Beni Ourain symbolism and made for use in the home by a...
As it happens, I have the ball that Allen Craig caught to end the 7th game of the 2011 world series. Would you like to buy it?
To be honest, some people might find this discussion slightly vulgar.My goodness, you could not be more wrong. Carpet dealers, especially those that deal with tourists, are exceptionally good at reading people, even across cultures. I know one guy in Turkey who speaks conversational English, German, Italian and Japanese, as well Turkish, of course. He can spot a tell a mile off. So he launches into his patter about the virgins and the mystical symbols etc. and watches...
Yeah, I don't get all the brunch hate. Any legitimate excuse to start drinking at 10 am works for me.
Quoted for hilariousness.Foo, you already bought this carpet. You don't want information. Why don't you just rename this thread, "Guess what I payed for this great carpet!"Heh. Assuming you paid much more than 600 USD for it, I'm not sure you're really in a position to be giving out shopping advice. In some countries, buying a carpet on-line and sight unseen would be grounds for appointing a conservator.If you really don't care about the backstory that goes with the...
I can only assume you are trying to get this moved to dumb threads.Investment? You must be joking. Your carpet portfolio is going to perform slightly worse than penny stocks. And for many of the same reasons.You may be willing to spend a lot of extra money for the romance but no one who deals in carpets will. When buying, they are going to value your carpet strictly on its physical characteristics.As for "how these rugs are valued by the market", there are two prices. ...
You are not looking for information, you are looking for validation.The basis of any valuation is going to be comparing similar goods. You can get a physically identical carpet for about 600 USD. It might not have the identical pattern but it will be hand knotted with a similar level of craftsmanship and 100% wool. The only difference is that it will be handcrafted in India instead of Morocco.Now if you want to pay extra for a romantic backstory, that's fine. Suppose...
I had assumed that you had gone into a physical shop and had seen this carpet. If you bought it on-line . . .You can buy a new 100% wool Beni Ourain that was hand knotted in India in that size for about 600 USD. Anything above that and you are mostly paying for back story. Some of this may actually add value, e.g. if it has one of the international anti-child labor certifications. But, personally, I would discount to zero any story about how this particular carpet was...
Asking is all very well, but you need to check the base yourself. Cotton sold as wool is fairly common.
Pretty high, I would say, even if it's 100% wool. These carpets are nice but typically have quite simple geometric patterns. This looks a decent example. But you can get a decent "Persian" carpet for $2500. Check to see if this carpet is 100% wool or whether it is wool on a cotton base.