or Connect

Posts by Bounder

I hope it does not violate the rules of this forum to point out that someone is making bunny ears over this guy's head and that it really completes the look.But, yes, a mid to dark blue blazer is extremely versatile. Dark navy is somewhat less useful as it isn't great during the day. Manton calls the navy blazer/khaki combination a "California Tuxedo." I don't know that it only works for people in college but it does seem to get over-used. For some kinds of things, it...
In Jermyn Street, in a basement, there used to be a Russian restaurant. The food was pretty bad but the restrooms were spectacularly bad, but in a good way. The urinals were in the shape of big, red lips and the toilets were cast in the shape of a naked woman. In the women's restroom, I am reliably informed, the taps were gold-plated penises and one twisted the balls to get hot or cold water. I think it's out of business now.
Mill Valley?They have more important things to worry about. This came up a few years ago, but I'm sure its still a burning issues, San Francisco-wise.In a letter to Mayor Edwin M. Lee sent Tuesday, Tracy Reiman, PETA's executive vice president, suggested that city officials rename the neighborhood the Tempeh District, a homage to a soy-based meat substitute.“San Francisco is now renowned for some of the best vegan cuisine in the world,” Ms. Reiman wrote. “And the city...
You need to stop buying the cheap, Chinese knock-off Oxyclean from the bodega and splash out for the original.
Even the NYT is making fun of San Francisco. The Chamber of Commerce and the tourist board are calling for harsher measures to improve what is euphemistically called the “condition of the streets,” a term that encompasses the intractable homeless problem, public intravenous drug use, the large population of mentally ill people on the streets and aggressive...
That's a beautiful edge. But isn't it kind of wasted on a pocket knife? Kitchen knives are one thing, but I have always thought that "work knives" which might get used on a wide variety of materials should be "under-sharpened" if that's the word. Is that not correct?
I can attest that this works very well. I tried it on some white shirts that had developed some quite bad yellow stains. Normally, I would have just tossed them but I had had these made up and I would have been sorry to see them go. The results were impressive. And my experience is that you can skip step 4. I also didn't do any brushing. I just left them sitting in the super-concentrated Oxy-Clean overnight. The vinegar does make a big difference though. It doesn't take a...
There is little history of woodworkers taking credit for their work because they were consider tradesmen rather than artists. Medwed's commendable reticence aside, that was then, this is now.I'm sure you are more familiar with the various ways of marking your work than I am, but you are doing nobody any favors by not marking your work. Signing it with a pencil may be traditional, but it's not as permanent as it could be and, in the modern day, work like yours deserves...
I can't say that your blog really advances your quest for on-line anonymity.As for a maker's mark, you really should get one. Your work deserves it.I have a friend who got some small brass coins made up. Each one has a symbol he designed and they are numbered sequentially. He insets them somewhere where they won't be readily visible, usually on the bottom or the back. They look just fantastic and they instantly mark the piece out as something very special, even to someone...
SG, what are you using as a maker's mark?