or Connect

Posts by Bounder

My understanding is that one of the points of French polishing is that, while it is incredibly time-consuming to do initially, it is also incredibly easy to repair. Is that correct?
I agree. It's a real loss. About the last thing NYC needs is another hipster pseudo-loft bar/restaurant.I thought this was great, though.“Nor would he suffer wrinkles in his trousers, preferring to sit at his massive desk in his skivvies until an appointment required otherwise.“He sat there at his desk in his underpants, so as not to lose his crease,” as Manhattan author Allyn Freeman, the closest thing to a Campbell biographer, put it recently."That shows real commitment....
Well, I don't want to get all current eventsy here, but I guess the first question is, do public operators have all that much of an incentive to maintain and improve facilities? From country to country, some are better, some are worse. I understand the Taipei one is quite nice and it is government run. But publicly-run metros all too often end up in a nasty intersection between rent seeking and political imperative all overseen by a stultifying bureaucracy.I think one of...
The dirty little secret that public transport agencies don't want you to know is that the best public transportation in the world isn't public.MTR, a publicly traded company, runs the Hong Kong Metro which is clean, efficient and convenient. HK metro cards can even be used as payment cards for all sorts of small transactions.(I think the Taipei metro has a similar deal.) The MTR is a private company that is in the business of operating metros.It also operates the Stockholm...
I have found this whole saga really sad. It wasn't that long ago that DC had the best metro in the country. Back then, it was the NY metro that was falling apart.The NY metro is still held together with bailing wire, duct tape being too new-fangled for MTA management. But it is also still running much as it has done forever while the DC metro is facing the real possibility of total shut down. That would be an unimaginable catastrophe for DC. If the metro shut down, I don't...
In the mist of all the chaos and uncertainty in the world today, it is comforting to know that some things don't change. A naked man who taunted police from atop the TKTS booth in Times Square became a rush-hour distraction and a social media spectacle for nearly an hour Thursday as bystanders recorded video of his antics before he fell from his perch. Best quote, for just so many reasons, “Might stop watching,” she tweeted. “Worried I might see a human fall off a...
Rightly. The Nobel Prize ceremony is in Stockholm in December and the sun sets at something like 3:00.
I don't think you can use the Nobel Prize ceremony as proof of your thesis that white tie can be worn during the day. In Scandinavia, white tie is appropriate anytime after October.
[[SPOILER]] I'm not really buying the distinction you are trying to make, both on historical and on practical grounds.First, originally, the suit was riding gear. In the UK even today it is called a lounge suit and, if you want to be strictly correct, in an Edwardian sort of way, it is casual wear. You seem to be suggesting that there were -- and are -- no gradations in formality between a lounge suit and full formal wear.Even if that were true once, and I don't think it...