or Connect

Posts by StephenHero

The hope of an incorruptible bureaucracy springs eternal.
It's fine to accept licensing in the abstract, but as seen in the case of the AMA, what more effective obstacle is there to reducing accessible healthcare than a medical trade organization that purposely restricts the number of doctors through onerous certification standards in order to secure a greater stranglehold on healthcare delivery? If it takes 8 years and $200k in student loans to find the authority to diagnose diabetes, who could expect access to quality to...
I'm convinced that all these efforts in bueracrasy and diplomacy over the trade are significant obstacles to the accessibility of good design. It may not be the ARB's authority to dictate the built environment, but there is a reason that forms of soft power and media relations are a tool in their best interest. It's because it's effective. There's significant weight and authority to forms of establishment due to the perception of their exclusiveness, and nipping around the...
Are we looking at the same contemporary architecture? Because the quality of architecture right now could hardly be lower. 95% of the buildings here in New York that pre-date WWII are of better architectural quality than than nearly all buildings since. Come join me for a site visit. I spend about six hours a week walking around and just looking at this shit.And no, this has nothing to do with me not being licensed. As mentioned, it's only necessary these days as a...
This is demonstrably false, as many with a thorough understanding of the building code realize, which more-or-less prohibits many traditional forms of construction, and thus styles. The process involves the endorsement of the architects' unions and construction materials industries in the building codes writing process, which are lobbied with using licensing and retention fees.. In short, architects and material suppliers have a vast financial interest in making it as...
This place is awful, and it's run by truly awful people.I say that based on lots of experience, because I used to live on Ludlow and spent quite a bit of time there. Avoid, avoid, avoid.
You're an architect if you plan and design buildings. It's not the moral responsibility of a person whose life is spent doing exactly that to conform to their legal jurisdiction's ex post facto qualifications of the historical term before they describe their profession. The precedence for architect being a generalized term to describe a designer is too significant to simply let a British bureaucracy appropriate for their own petty designation, especially as they throw up...
Those people are the fucking worst. This same issue happened with Renzo Piano recently when he was getting an award for the Shard in London and the ARB was emailing people not to call him an architect in publication. It's ridiculous to not formally consider Pawson an architect, but Renzo Piano is more of an architect in any capacity than anybody on the planet. I just don't understand how anybody could make such a request with a straight face. these and other efforts in...
Are you referring to the same travertine we are? Because the one we're referring to is the one that the Colosseum, Pantheon, St. Peter's, and about half of Italy are faced with. You must be thinking of a different one. Regardless, your opinion is retarded. Go directly to jail. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.