or Connect

Posts by faust

Quote: Originally Posted by LA Guy I think that a more accurate interpretation would be to say that the membership of these online fora are attracting increasingly sophisticated and mature audiences, reflecting the maturity of online fora as a medium for communication across a wide demographic swath. Ann Demeulemeester and Raf Simons are hardly new names in fashion, and Cloak has run full circle. It's just that people who were interested and...
I, too, was taken by that suit. It looked really well made. It's the first time anything by that brand ever caught my eye.
Quote: Originally Posted by LA Guy Faust, It takes balls to start up a site, and yours looks very much like Styleforum did when it first started 5 years ago, also in reaction to another site. Looked over there, and the quality of discussion seems very good. Congratulations. I'm not sure that these brands just started cropping up recently, however, although their has been more postings about them here and on Sufu recently. If you look through...
Quote: Originally Posted by poly800rock designers and the wearers. The look is the look. like DDML said, it's been here for quite some time now. I'm not at all hating. Just a little curious as to the sudden influx of these labels popping up all over these boards recently. And I guess it does ultimately come down to personal style, cuz you seem to pull off a great look regardless of what label is attached. fuuma and djrajio do it well also, but kind...
Quote: Originally Posted by Jared Frankly, Fuuma, I'm rather shocked that you clearly know so much about semiotics but cling to the naive belief that authors have control over what their signs signify. When someone wears particular clothes they send a message to both themselves and other people. They have control over the message it sends to themselves (which is why it's often "I'm too sexy for this shirt"), but are not fully conscious of the message or...
Quote: Originally Posted by Bandwagonesque Or you can do neither. Buying quality made, non-sweatshop labour merchandise need not cost you a small fortune. Look at what MJK, AW, et al do. That's true. Besides, if you are a savvy shopper, you don't need to pay a small fortune for desinger clothes. My income is certainly lower middle class (in NYC), and I get by just fine.
Quote: Originally Posted by Brian SD We've been trying to think of a new name for this forum. Streetwear isn't popular among any of us, but we cannot think of something that really describes this forum. About 0% of the posters here wear clothing that would be considered 'streetwear.' So far the efforts to think of a new name have been fruitless. Denim & Fashion was considered briefly but fashion discussion is not really the goal of this forum. Also...
Fuuma, I appreciate your invitation to post in this thread, but it looks like you said it all. I don't really have much to add. Style is an outward appearance of one's character. People dress how they feel, unless they don't have enough self-esteem and become influenced by society (peers, media, etc.), or if the workplace demands a dress code. So, when blank wrote that he doesn't get it, he really meant that he doesn't get it - he doesn't have the experience in his...
Wow, thanks for the warm words about StyleZeitgeist, guys. I was googling SZ to see who is paying attention and came across this thread. I certainly appreciate it!
Quote: Originally Posted by rach2jlc I think that it is real. Helmut Lang isn't really that popular of a brand and is not known by the general population (as opposed to Gucci, LV, Prada, etc.) so I think you are generally safer buying Lang or Jil Sander. Purveyors of fakes generally go for items that are immediately recognizable. Fashionistas and denim fans are about the only people who buy Lang, and the lack of an identifiable logo for Lang makes it...