or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:

Posts by topbroker

Sorry, I refuse to be Twitterific. ADHD attention spans, not my problem.
Quote: Originally Posted by bringusingoodale This thread is more interesting for the discussion on our supposed Asiatic counterparts; I say supposed because it seems they are kicking our ass in many respects nowadays. (By "our" I mean USA) It did go in that direction, which was not my original intention, but I do not mind because it is an interesting subject. Since I am in Asia, it is a lot on my mind these days. I admire what I see here...
Quote: Originally Posted by MBreinin This is my most flamboyant suit. My boss, who is rarely here, has not seen it. I am sure he would make a big deal about it. Either way, it won't stop me from wearing it...I am known as the freak at my workplace. They expect these kinds of suits. This is an interesting point. Since my twenties -- I am in my early fifties now -- I have been the "odd man out" at every workplace I have spent time in. I assume...
Quote: Originally Posted by JamesX Not to take anything away from your point. I just wanted to mention that China has been in such manner since thousands of years ago. They are the nation that has the proverb "Teacher for one Day, Father for Life." Even the communist cultural revolution did not diminish the importance of education in Chinese culture. So I do not believe it is entirely accurate to say that East Asian Nations are trying to emulate...
No, I'm not teaching a particularly elite set of students here in Korea. Changwon is a medium-sized city a long distance from Seoul. My students at the private academy are middle class, and all of them are enrolled in, or graduated from, ordinary Korean regional universities, not the top institutions. Attending university is the norm in Korea; almost 90% of Koreans go on to university, and the majority of them graduate. There are virtually no high school dropouts in Korea,...
Master Squirrel, I enjoyed your thoughtful comments. Thanks for engaging with what I wrote. On the issue of universities and nationalities: Probably 90% of my Korean students have studied abroad in an English-speaking country, either as a high school or university exchange student. America, Canada, England, Australia, and New Zealand are all popular. Being accepted to and attending an American university is an ultimate dream for many, because it greatly increases your...
Quote: Originally Posted by chasingred It's anecdotal, but for what it's worth, I've talked to executives at IBM, Google, and Microsoft about this, and they all say they'd rather hire American engineers from top tier schools than East Asian engineers from their top tier schools. It's commonly believed that we have better engineering schools (at least when you're comparing apples to apples - top tier to top tier, middle tier to middle tier,...
Quote: Originally Posted by fxh You believe this? I can't believe that he believes it, either. He needs to spend some time in Asia. They are going to eat us for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The students here are incredibly motivated; the workers are incredibly diligent. Engineers? Everyone here is an engineer! As an American high school and college educator of long experience, I can tell you flat-out that the top quarter of students in Korea...
Quote: Originally Posted by landshark How exactly would we be able to outsource lawyers or medical professionals? You haven't heard of Indian lawyers and doctors handling document review for American law firms and hospitals? There must have been hundreds of news stories about this.
Quote: Originally Posted by chasingred I think you might be overstating it. Professional service sectors and knowledge-based services are the sections of the economy that have been growing the most for the last 20-30 years. We're experiencing a financial downturn now, but there's no reason to say that professional services are in permanent decline. What's in decline, at least for advanced industrial economies, is manufacturing - essentially blue...
New Posts  All Forums: