or Connect

Posts by AAF-8AF

This refers back to some discussion several pages ago, but regarding Alden themselves talking about inventing the tassel loafer, and Alden advertising in general being almost non-existent, here is a postcard Alden DC sent out a few years ago. It doesn't seem to do much other than say, "Hey, we're here, and we have shoes." It was very unusual to get, all things considered.
I would not wear snuff with those colors.My standard lined shell LHS are EE width since my instep can't handle the strap in my normal E width. The BB and unlined snuff are E width, though, and in my TTS size, so they are a half size longer than I take in the standard lined Van (also Barrie), but I have no problem with heel slippage. When I was at Alden DC buying the snuff LHS, I took along my BB unlined for size and comparison and, they were identical. Joe said that the...
That was an Alden for Leather Soul special makeup I got in August 2012. It is on the Barrie last with a single Flex sole. Great boot, and very comfortable.
I can't believe I waited so long to get a pair of these snuff suede LHS. Just picked them up at Alden DC on Saturday. Soooo comfy. Joining the snuff family: And the LHS family (#8 lined, #8 BB unlined, Cigar, Chromexcel, snuff):
This is my next purchase. As soon as I complete the sale of my house I'm going to celebrate by clicking the "Buy" button on these. I love my BB unlined shell LHS, so just gotta have these.
Yep, that's possible as well, though the shoes in the Time photo appear to have a light colored welt from what I can see with a magnifier. Are there versions of the Ludlow like that? (I don't really follow J Crew offerings since I need an E width.) Either way, there is not really any evidence of a black layer in the heel, so it could be entirely something else unless that detail was post-processed.
I just got the March 24, 2014 issue of Time Magazine, and the shoes being worn by Keegan-Michael Key on the cover and in a photo inside look a lot like Alden shell longwings, specifically they look like the Leffot color 8 version with antique edging. Here is an image I found, though it's pretty low-res.
I wasn't looking for any shell during my visit (gasp!), so I didn't ask about the inventory.
I was in Alden DC today and they had a couple of new things. Sadly, I left my phone at home today so I couldn't take pictures. First, they have a half-lined brown CXL LHS with flex sole. The front is unlined and the rear is lined, similar to the suede version. Very comfortable and roomy in the forefoot, so it may be more forgiving for those with LHS strap discomfort. I knew these were coming in but I had in my mind that they would be fully unlined like the BB LHS, but...
McArthur is the elder statesman of Alden shoes. I expect he has been wearing Alden shell since most guys on this forum were born. Many decades, I believe. And he has probably owned more pairs of Alden shoes than most of us combined. He has two shoe treatment methods referred to by his name. He's also effectively an ambassador for Alden shoes and enjoys seeing new and younger guys joining in. Given all that, he would be justified in referring to any of us as "son" but...