or Connect

Posts by mr. magoo

Criminy, do some searches. A question seeking a bespoke tailor was posted here all of last week. Off the top of my head, there are probably 25 threads devoted to this topic, although none specifically about the Continental cut you are searching for. If you lose patience, you can always try Borrelli or Attolini, as they both seem to have a cut similar to that spare look and at least Attolini does some bespoke.
Covered many times. I use Wildred's on the south side 23rd between Fifth and Sixth. Perfectly serviceable, medium prices and will actually give you their opinion when asked, which a dry cleaners/tailors won't. They've been named in threads before, so if you need more details, do a name search.
As a person who helps run the recruiting in a NYC business casual law firm, I'm telling you to wear a suit. Don't worry about feeling awkward, worry about seeming competant, intelligent and comfortable in your own skin (clothes do not matter for that).
Quote: Alright - I'm in the market for custom suits and shirts. Can I get recommendations for tailors in New York City, Boston & Portland, Maine - three cities i conduct a fair amount of business in? Your request is not unique. Do searches here and in AskAndy for tailors/shirtmakers in New York and you will have a plethora of responses from the last year or two. Shirts: Ascot Chang, Geneva, Paris, Cego ("Shirtmaven" on the forum), depending on your...
Quote: Sorry, the sale is at the Madison Ave. store? For spring and summer items? Any cashmere vests on sale?   No, it's at the Parsons School, which is at the corner of 40th and Seventh Ave. Upstairs. Goes through Thursday. Skinny on fabrics: sell end of bolts only (generally about 2.5 yards on jacket fabrics and 3 - 6 yards on suit fabrics). Will NOT sell by the yard. General range is $150 - $200 per yard, depending of course on the fabric. Not...
Holy thread-revival. If you want to see Thom Brown off the rack, Bergdorf's sells it on the third floor. An initial inspection I did revealed canvased fronts, a touch of hand-work and an absurdly high price tag. The look was actually sort of Wes Andersony -- imagine English public school-boy meets Helmut Lang.
I bought a pair earlier this year in Barcelona -- calf-skin full brogues in a lovely cognac. The last is very similar to my Green 202s, which are also a full brogue, although with slightly longer in the toe (i.e., less rounded). Goodyear stitched. Nicely finished throughout -- leather lined, good stitching and coloring, etc. 280 euros ($348, but I got a VAT returned). Easily the level of Sargents, if not superior finishing in my opinion. IMO better than Italian shoes...
I tend to be the only 16/20 advocate on these boards and stopped by the sale yesterday. Pretty slim pickings. There were about 50 shirts in odd sizes -- lots of 15/35 and 17.5/37, etc. -- for $65. A few nice polo shirts in all sizes (I picked one up) for $25. A smattering of ties, belts and large sweaters. There were lots of trousers in larger/smaller sizes -- 30 and 36+. Mostly unattractive wools (light green and so forth), but not bad. The coup for me were jackets....
Quote: I sent the seller an email while back and never got a response.  I'm a bit of leery of people when they don't offer to communicate. Bought a jacket from him a couple of years ago. Very good stuff product, exactly as advertised. I seem to recall asking if I could return it if there was a problem and he said that I could. On the other hand, his prior communication was just fine with me, so I cannot guess why he didn't write you.
Quote: silk is hot. go for the Bemeberg lining. Mr. Maven, I'm curious about this statement. A few years ago I had a suit and jacket made in the far east with a very light Escada silk lining that is quite cool. Recently, I had another suit commissioned with a silk lining that is quite thick and, as you point out, very warm. First question: I thought silk was very breathable and thus cool in hot weather and warm in cold weather. Is this true? Second...