or Connect

Posts by mr. magoo

Quote: Magoo: A pink, 3-piece corduroy suit?  Wow. I can't even begin to imagine being able to pull that one off.  I salute you, you are a much more daring man than I. Or stupid. It's something that can only be worn occasionally, as you can appreciate. The Dormeuil store in NYC seemed to have a fairly conservative clientele. I suspect that I was one of the few people who expressed wide-eyed admiration for that one-of-a-kind suit and its companion in...
Love the idea and I'll go first... I have a few suits from Perry's in Bangkok, Thailand. A few years ago I went on vacation there and decided that I should take advantage of the handiwork in Asia. I bought a book re: shopping in Bangkok, went to about 10 of the top tailors to see about style, quality, price, knowledge, etc. and picked this place out on Silom Road. Their work is more a cross between made to measure and bespoke. Only one measurement and two fittings in the...
I agree with both of you -- nothing inherently wrong about it, but nothing spectacularly right about it either. Flusser wants us to be closer to perfection than the ads do.
I have three corduroy suits actually: brown from Burberry, red from Paul Smith and a salmon pink three-piece number that Timothy Everest did for Dormeuil when he was their creative director.  Naturally, I wear the red and pink ones sparingly, but wear the brown one constantly in the winter and late fall.  I find it to be wonderfully versatile and extremely comfortable -- and I'm not even crazy about the cut of that  particular suit.  It dresses up and down and...
I think everyone else's responses have been pretty good so far, so mine is just a touch of clarification... Preppy isn't that far from the look of Hackett's in London, frankly. You're thinking a bit more fogey than anything else. Think navy jackets, oxford shirts, flannel or tan cotton (i.e., khaki chinos) trousers, loafers. At its heart, Ralph Lauren is attempting to replicate classic preppy dress, although a designer/company of that scale has some diversity to its...
Quote: ____ Bootmakers in the Wall Street area of NYC (I forget the name): they are mentioned in the Vass book. Perhaps you mean Vogel: http://www.vogelboots.com?
Some posters may remember the store (and label) "New Republic" that was on Spring Street in Soho between Mercer and Broadway. It closed around 1999 when it's owner and designer, Thom Oatman (IIRC), decided that Soho was becoming what it has become. It was moderately priced, designed in a classic American updated sense (think an American Paul Smith), and largely sold their own label. In the mid to late 90s, Alan Flusser had an article in Esquire that listed it as one of the...
Can't get your link to work, but as far as I recall, Patrick was a pretty standard French athletic shoe manufacturer. Used to be pretty big players in the soccer and biking worlds, but have fallen off since then. I think they've been trying to re-position the brand in the way their compatriots Le Coq Sportif have. Possibly made in Europe by people who are paid decently for their work, but I really wouldn't know. My limited experience with the brand is a pair of soccer...
Quote: Don't forget the Lattanzi and Tanino Crisci stores as well. A newbie in NYC here.  Can you tell me where these stores are?  The other I know.