or Connect

Posts by mr. magoo

Quote: Originally Posted by burningbright Can anybody speak about their experiences with Asheville, NC? I know somebody mentioned it briefly in here but didn't have much to say about it. I passed through the place while helping move a friend from Chicago to Greenville, SC and liked what I saw. Kind of struck me as a sort of strange cross between a bohemian artsy town and a retirement community though, which is a weird combo. My sister loves...
Quote: Originally Posted by javyn Because they paid into it? People often forget the elderly worked and paid taxes before being elderly. Kind of like how people forget that the "99ers" are not third generation welfare recipients but people who have worked all their lives and put into the system only to be called welfare whores and losers when they got laid off and needed help. Social Security isn't something you "pay into" like a pension. ...
Quote: Originally Posted by Don Carlos +100 This is a sacred cow that nobody will want to cut, but our level of military spending makes little modern-day sense. We don't have the enemies, the need, or the money to keep spending at current levels. We won't be able to outspend China indefinitely, or even much longer, and trying to do so will be a supremely and disastrously foolish move. The US spends more than the rest of the world combined...
Quote: Originally Posted by Mark from Plano I've not been to Providence or Des Moines, but have been to Minneapolis. It was certainly nice, but I wouldn't say that it was miles ahead of Ft. Worth on the "cool" scale. Besides, how would you know, the fucking place is blanketed in 25 feet of snow 360 days a year. I would. The actual street life on Nicollet and Hennepin Aves. is greater than downtown Ft. Worth, its Warehouse District alone...
http://www.newriversrestaurant.com/
Quote: Originally Posted by Mark from Plano Haven't read this whole thread, but has anyone mentioned Ft. Worth, TX yet? If not it's probably a reflection of how underrated it is. Downtown Ft. Worth is pretty much a model for how cool urban downtown areas can be when they are done properly. It is a college town (TCU) with great museums and a low-cost standard of living. I believe that I heard that when ESPN/Sportcenter was in the metroplex...
Re law school -- check out the New York Times' story on law school graduates this week. Should scare you away, unless you get into an Ivy School or equivalent (U of C, Stanford, NYU, etc.) Re other option -- I've touted this field before on SF, but my wife's career track would be great for former teachers, and there are several who go into it: development work (i.e., fundraising for non-profits). 1. Many non-profits are educational (private schools, universities,...
Quote: Originally Posted by Davidko19 Austin, TX is probably the only other city I would choose. Quote: Originally Posted by landshark Austin, Texas. Overrated as a hipster, eco-friendly town, but still quite a decent city to live in for the rest of us. Nice town, but the most singly overrated town in America. There's little reason it has the national buzz it has. To compare the press it gets to everywhere else...
Quote: Originally Posted by bigbadbuff I am definitely leaning towards beginning in Paris for x days, and then train to the next 1-2 destinations, ideally flying home from the final city. I actually want to take the train for the experience, and we don't plan on going far enough out that would require exhaustive/time consuming transit... What would be great is to hear what everyone likes about specific places, to help me get a better feel for...
Also posted in Mens Clothing... I just bought a Filson #257 laptop bag in Otter Green off eBay. The bag is a bit larger than I anticipated, so I thought I'd pass it along. If you would like to buy for the amount I paid ($180 + $5 shipping), PM me. Very minor wear -- really enough to look slightly broken in, but still stands on its own. The linked eBay listing makes the bag look brown, but it is truly otter...