or Connect

Posts by mr. magoo

Quote: Originally Posted by Stewbone Do you know what part of Stl your be moving to? If it happens, we'd probably be in U City or one of the closer neighborhoods (Central West End, Tower Grove, etc.) Quote: Originally Posted by impolyt_one be rich and white (better yet Jewish) and you should be okay, provided you like things to be very, very boring. I'm white and married, so things are already very, very...
It looks increasingly likely I am moving to St. Louis from the NYC area. I'm not from the area, but have visited a couple times to interview for a new job and to look around. I have the basics down, such as having to answer that I didn't go to high school in St. Louis, public schools suck, that Delmar is big dividing line and that the pizza has weird cheese on it. What other interesting and unique things do I need to know about the city to evaluate the move and to...
Quote: Originally Posted by Achilles_ Turtle necks? Brits call turtle necks polo necks.
Quote: Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum So only working-class people can stand up for the rights of other working-class people? When I was a kid, there was a trend in protest movements to "dress up" for protests: generally be neat, wear dress pants, maybe a tie. The reason was to suggest that protesters were serious young people, not just dirty, angry hippies, and that the message you were trying to espouse had "broad" appeal. ...
Quote: Originally Posted by burningbright Can anybody speak about their experiences with Asheville, NC? I know somebody mentioned it briefly in here but didn't have much to say about it. I passed through the place while helping move a friend from Chicago to Greenville, SC and liked what I saw. Kind of struck me as a sort of strange cross between a bohemian artsy town and a retirement community though, which is a weird combo. My sister loves...
Quote: Originally Posted by Mark from Plano I've not been to Providence or Des Moines, but have been to Minneapolis. It was certainly nice, but I wouldn't say that it was miles ahead of Ft. Worth on the "cool" scale. Besides, how would you know, the fucking place is blanketed in 25 feet of snow 360 days a year. I would. The actual street life on Nicollet and Hennepin Aves. is greater than downtown Ft. Worth, its Warehouse District alone...
http://www.newriversrestaurant.com/
Quote: Originally Posted by Mark from Plano Haven't read this whole thread, but has anyone mentioned Ft. Worth, TX yet? If not it's probably a reflection of how underrated it is. Downtown Ft. Worth is pretty much a model for how cool urban downtown areas can be when they are done properly. It is a college town (TCU) with great museums and a low-cost standard of living. I believe that I heard that when ESPN/Sportcenter was in the metroplex...
Re law school -- check out the New York Times' story on law school graduates this week. Should scare you away, unless you get into an Ivy School or equivalent (U of C, Stanford, NYU, etc.) Re other option -- I've touted this field before on SF, but my wife's career track would be great for former teachers, and there are several who go into it: development work (i.e., fundraising for non-profits). 1. Many non-profits are educational (private schools, universities,...
Quote: Originally Posted by Davidko19 Austin, TX is probably the only other city I would choose. Quote: Originally Posted by landshark Austin, Texas. Overrated as a hipster, eco-friendly town, but still quite a decent city to live in for the rest of us. Nice town, but the most singly overrated town in America. There's little reason it has the national buzz it has. To compare the press it gets to everywhere else...